E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive had my car since january and id say around in march the coolant sign would come on only if i had the heat on (gym in the mornnings its freezzin outside) but when i turn the heat off the sign would go away..

today i turned the a/c on and the light came on again i didnt really bother with it
but can it be dangerous to my engine?

the light only comes on SOMETIMES.

if i try to refill it myself do i have to drain the old coolant?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
No. Check the level when the motor is cold. According to the level bobber, top off as needed. If the light comes back on later, you have a leak.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
That's because the heater core is opening, allowing coolant in. Don't question, check your coolant level properly, then check back if the problem persists.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
There is a floating stick in the Expansion Tank to determine the level. It should stick out of the top about 1" if full. Like 330I Stud said, when you turn on the heat the coolant circulates through the heater core which causes the low coolant light to come on. Need to add coolant and bleed. With the car off and cold, open the ET and bleeder screw. In vehicle turn key to position 1, turn heat to 91 deg and put fan on low. Add 50/50 mixed BMW coolant/distilled water, slowly into ET until it flows out of bleeder screw bubble free. That should do. Step two... check for leaks.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
There is a floating stick in the Expansion Tank to determine the level. It should stick out of the top about 1" if full. Like 330I Stud said, when you turn on the heat the coolant circulates through the heater core which causes the low coolant light to come on. Need to add coolant and bleed. With the car off and cold, open the ET and bleeder screw. In vehicle turn key to position 1, turn heat to 91 deg and put fan on low. Add 50/50 mixed BMW coolant/distilled water, slowly into ET until it flows out of bleeder screw bubble free. That should do. Step two... check for leaks.
OP. If you smart enough... Follow this generous e46fanatic step.

Google " e46 coolant flush "

that is if u know what google is.

lol^

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.