BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my coolant indicator has been coming on for a while now...can anyone tell me exactly what type to buy? thx!

·
...and I'd be all shiny..
1,831 Posts
Just pick up some zerex or prestone or something like that. Just make sure that if your current coolant is neon green that the new stuff you get is also neon green, as opposed to some that are orange.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, ghostrider. how do i know what color the old stuff is, though? just stick something in there for a dip? thanks for the help, though the news from ryan doesn't sound too promising..

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Make sure you check the color of your coolant. I thought mine was the normal green kind, but it was actually blue. Bought my coolant from the dealer. I heard it's bad to mix coolant.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Do NOT use the green stuff from Prestone or any other coolants that contain phosphate. Although they claim it's safe on aluminum, they will form nasy calcium deposits in your cooling system over time. Use either the orange Prestone stuff or buy the OEM blue stuff.

If you are using stuff containing phosphate, get it out NOW.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Personally I wouldn't use anything but the genuine BMW coolant. Just get a gallon from your dealer. I just bought some just in case I ever needed it...not that expensive.

·
Registered
140 Posts
**** said:
Personally I wouldn't use anything but the genuine BMW coolant. Just get a gallon from your dealer. I just bought some just in case I ever needed it...not that expensive.
Same here! Its not that expensive and its good peice of mind
:D :D

·
...and I'd be all shiny..
1,831 Posts
yea, I've recently had radiator fluid leaks but it was cuz something was wrong with the water pump. anyways the dealership replaced it and filled with OEM fluid. I guess I'll keep away from the phosphate stuff, and I've heard its bad to mix coolants too

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow, this is great feedback. you've convinced me - i'll buy a sh$tload at the dealer..better to be safe than sorry..

·
booo for body roll.
3,406 Posts
uh oh. let's see i had a 15k service and they said they would top my coolant off-- does that mean they'll drain it and refill it. or just make sure it's full. i think i've done the sin of mixing coolants. i didnt know wht kind it had so i just picked up some around my garage. not good.

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
daym...i didn't know it was bad to mix coolant.. a few days ago, my coolant light came on and i put in some prestone i found in my garage. :banghead: what do i do now?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Some coolant top-off is normal. I needed about pint or so after 14K. Use BMW OEM coolant mixed 50/50 with water.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I was told that you should ONLY re-fill with BMW brand coolant, if not, you can cause engine seal damage!
If I were you, better to be safe then sorry if it is true!

My 2 cents:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
DONT GET ANY RED COLOR ONE!...I just payed 300 bucks to get it taken out of my car cause bmw of richmond put it in there and denied it...

·
Law Enforcer
2,336 Posts
What color is the M3 coolant. I haven't had to top off yet, so I'm curious. I guess it's time to take my *** to the dealer huh? :D

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
what do i do if i put some prestone coolant in my car?? do i get it flushed and filled up again or just leave it and pray??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts