E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today plastic fitting of the upper radiator hose on my 2009 535xi (N54) disintegrated so I had to replace that. Last year I removed a hose from the cylinder head on that car and the mickey mouse style fitting disintegrated and left pieces in the head. When I replaced the hard coolant pipes on my 325i E46 last year they also broke off in the head. I wish they could have found a plastic that could stand up to time better. Still using the original rad hoses on my E46 and they look/feel fantastic still.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
plastic fitting of the upper radiator hose on my 2009 535xi (N54) disintegrated so I had to replace that
What disintegrated? The O-ring keeper plastic ring fell off the hose connector? The is a typical result when people didn't use brake grease lube on the O-ring and the male connector when put them together, and the rubber O-ring was bonded to the male part, then the owner try to force them out during removal and crack/separate the plastic keeper ring from the connector body.

·
Registered
2001 325i Sedan
837 Posts
Today plastic fitting of the upper radiator hose on my 2009 535xi (N54) disintegrated so I had to replace that.
I have a 2007 N54, and I agree 100%. The plastics, ALL of them, on the E90 are vastly inferior to those on the E46. Every bloody time I work on the engine, at least one plastic part breaks, no matter how careful I am. A lot of them have been replaced already. Except for hoses, all the plastics on my E46 are original, intact, and still almost like new.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,468 Posts
What disintegrated? The O-ring keeper plastic ring fell off the hose connector? The is a typical result when people didn't use brake grease lube on the O-ring and the male connector when put them together, and the rubber O-ring was bonded to the male part, then the owner try to force them out during removal and crack/separate the plastic keeper ring from the connector body.
The inner part of the hose connector, just behind the O Ring usually stays stuck onto either the radiator or the OFH outlet. See it all the time. Factory hose never touched (N54/55) from the factory.
It's part of our quote for the OFHG (2 of them) job.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The flange that the hose slips over broke in half. There was only about 1/4" of flange left to slide the hose back on to but not enough for a hose clamp to grab it on to. The o-ring and part that fits into the oil cooler was fine. When the hose came off the crimped ring on the hose was fine and inside the hose was a round plastic piece from the flange that stayed in the hose, under that crimp.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
The flange that the hose slips over broke in half. There was only about 1/4" of flange left to slide the hose back on to but not enough for a hose clamp to grab it on to. The o-ring and part that fits into the oil cooler was fine. When the hose came off the crimped ring on the hose was fine and inside the hose was a round plastic piece from the flange that stayed in the hose, under that crimp.
I have never seen the hose broke off from the connector as you described. The said hose connected to the oil cooler? Never heard of this.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,468 Posts
OFH outlet? Am I missing something here, that the OFH connected to the coolant hose?
The conversation strayed, that was a N55 answer to a N55 situation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts