BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
330 ci

If it's not one thing it's a ****ing nother with this damn car. After changing my vanos, and ccv. My car was running beautifully. For a day and a half... Out for a simple drive I noticed my temp gauge was starting to lean towards the red, still in between the marks. I noticed a white puff from my hood and smelled coolant. Turns out the coolant hose from the thermostat to the expansion tank popped off, the larger one to the radiator was fine. Simple I thought, popped it back on. Welp it popped out again on my way to work and car overheated and I had it towed home since I didnt have the tools to fix on the side of the road. Tonight I got a c clamp and was able to wedge the hose on far enough the clip spring was defiantly seated. Pelican parts and youtube said 1 bar or 14-15 psi to test for leaks with coolant pressure tester. This hose is blowing off completely at 10 psi, along with the radiator connection.

Im wonder what Im doing wrong or what could be wrong. I changed the expansion tank with oem and the hose and thermostat within the past year and a half. It was working beautifully until I did my vanos/ccv job. I didn't do a total flush and bleed of the system. I just topped if off yesterday and tonight. Could low coolant levels be causing it? Air in the lines? When pressure testing I heard gurgling from the engine but didn't see any leaks (I have had any low coolant issues since I changed a failed expansion tank a few years back). These hoses have been notoriously hard to get on but until now stayed put. Everything was rock solid until yesterday... :banghead::ben:

Thanks

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,030 Posts
A couple thoughts:

What brand hoses are these? I've replaced mine with Rein hoses (oe) never had trouble putting them on, only taking them off if they have been there a while. Check that the o-rings inside the hose haven't been pinched or folded over and are keeping the hose from fully seating. They really should just push on with little to moderate force and the metal clip in the down position (so when it clicks you know its secure). Needing a c-clamp to do it means something is wrong.

Second, do you see any dried coolant on the block rearward of the oil filter housing where the waffle pattern is? If so, the hard coolant pipes are leaking. Try removing the air filter housing and unbolt the ps reservior and rotatet it over toward the left fender to get a better view around the oil filter housing. The coolant pipes go into the head and block right behind the oil filter and can leak from there making like a 'waterfall' of dried coolant along the rear of the ofh.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I didnt see any dried coolant in the waffled area of the engine. I replaced my oil filter housing gasket when I did the vanos job I had that off neither did I notice it then or when I had the whole intake manifold off replacing the ccv. Did not notice oil in the coolant or visa versa. Im not sure of the brand of hose, I got it from some parts distributor locally I found in a pinch when I was doing my expansion tank. I will try oem.

Any other suggestions or what to look for? Thanks

Edit: Correcting my first post. I have not had any coolant leak issues other when the original expansion tank went out. Worded that little confusing.

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,030 Posts
Rein hoses are a good substitute for genuine BMW, as is Modine for the expansion tank. Off brand aftermarket cooling parts can have fitment issues. No need for a total flush until you get it sorted, but when you get it back together definitely bleed the system with the front end on jack stands or facing up hill.

·
Registered
10,036 Posts
The installation of aftermarket cooling system parts is strictly verboten. Go to FCPEuro and buy cooling system parts that are labeled as “OE” or “OEM.”

OE: original equipment=the part was m are by the same company that supplies the part to BMW. An example is the expansion tank made by Modine. Modine supplies the tank to BMW.

OEM: original equipment manufacturer=the part was made by a company that supplies parts to BMW, but does not supply this part to BMW. An example is the water pump. Hepu manufactures parts for BMW but does not make the water pump.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,130 Posts
It's apropos so I'll mention it again. Just because any vendor mentions that a part is OE and/or OEM it doesn't necessarily mean it's the part you should buy. These folks are in the business of selling parts. There's often (not always) some clever slight deceptions going on with such representations happening all the time.

Case in point, Behr cooling system components. Yes Behr is a supplier to BMW and has been for a long time.
99% of the Behr products one can easily source on the internet are by that company, with the caveat of being produced in China. They're garbage.

Another clever deception: Elring for valve cover gaskets. The E46 M3 uses VC gaskets made by Bruss (NOT available anywhere but the dealer) and lately also by Mahle. (not to be confused with Meyle!)

Often they list Elring as OEM. Stretching the truth IMO, while Elring does indeed make many seals for BMW and on the S54 engine they DO NOT supply the VC gasket to them.

So at the end of the day, this is one of the more important reasons to come here and seek advice of the collective. Experience counts.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
...and things change day to day, week to week, and car to car.

The E46 Febi guibo was actually made by the OE supplier in Germany. (who isn't Febi)
The E21 Febi guibo was made by someone in a shack with a pot of molten rubber

The Behr thermostat I bought in 2014 was the BMW version with the Roundel machined off.
The Behr thermostat I bought last month was made by someone in a shack with a pot of molten plastic.

There is also at least one company that sells products labelled OEM. Their name? OEM. Said products appear to be made in a shack...

t
ca fait change...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what thermostat upper hose to the expansion tank brand do I want? What expansion tank brand do I want? Now you guys have me questioning everything. Thisll be the 3rd time replacing this crap.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,093 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wisdom of the crowd. Never go non OE. New Rein hose fit on in a snap. PSI holding at 1 bar, no leaks. Can't wait to drive my car and blow something else out!

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,384 Posts
Wisdom of the crowd. Never go non OE.
I wouldn’t say never. Some replacements may even be improved.
But....
for the cooling system where you have snap in connection fittings under pressure it’s a very smart practice here to go OE. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Wow - great thread. It's somehow remotely gratifying to watch someone take the advice of the forum and see immediate correct results to an issue. Bravo.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow - great thread. It's somehow remotely gratifying to watch someone take the advice of the forum and see immediate correct results to an issue. Bravo.
I think it is more of a lesson of just take the advice that is repeated hear ad nauseam in the first place. All of the advice for my vacuum leak issue has been parroted here. This situation with the expansion tank and hoses. And on and on. I had this hose go out just after my last chinese expansion tank crapped out. I replaced the tank with modine as recommended. It was like a week or so later the hose failed and I went with an Auto Zone supplier that had one on hand I could be back up and running. That was this one that the fitment eventually crapped out. Should have just listened to the advice here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts