BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 BMW 325i
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this has been bugging me for months. I got my car fixed (fixed various oil leaks, replaced the thermostat(the "new" one i was told was just put in when i bought the car literally wasn't there), replaced the disa valve, etc) and once it warms up and has been driving around for a bit, the coolant light comes on, and then disappears, and it does this repeatedly throughout my trip. I'm not sure whats causing this, I've replaced the sensor, drained the coolant, filled it back up, and it's not leaking. Any ideas of what could be wrong?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Can you notice or pin point a re-occurring time/tendency when the indicators light comes on.
Example: the light for me would stay off during the week except for on Fridays when after work I would gun the engine on the hwy on my way home...then would the light appear.

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 BMW 325i
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you notice or pin point a re-occurring time/tendency when the indicators light comes on.
Example: the light for me would stay off during the week except for on Fridays when after work I would gun the engine on the hwy on my way home...then would the light appear.

Yes I've noticed it happens more when pushing the engine, and now that I think about it, it usually coincides with it turning on when I'm pushing the engine and turning off when stopped/slowed down.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yes I've noticed it happens more when pushing the engine, and now that I think about it, it usually coincides with it turning on when I'm pushing the engine and turning off when stopped/slowed down.
Yeah your a bit low on coolent...give it a bit more, but don't carelessly dump in amounts just to be done with the task or your bmw will make you PAY with exploding the tank! Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you have air in the cooling system, the level in the expansion tank will surge up and down with engine RPM. That makes the float go up and down and makes the light come on. Not sure about e46, but on the e36, you can get cracks inside the tank that allow air in to the cooling system even when the coolant level is correct.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts