BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coolant leak==>

I know the most common leak is the expansion tank, but I just replaced it about four months ago. I checked underneath, pictures are attached where it is leaking. Everything else is dry. Any suggestions?

I replaced the hoses, water pump, thermostat, and expansion tank four months ago. It just started leaking after I replaced the alternator. I only removed the air box, the belt, and the power steering pump reservoir to do the job but maybe I knocked into the expansion tank too hard or something opening a gasket leak somewhere? Has anyone else experienced a leak like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
820 Posts
I have the same car...I think you are right, it is either the radiator or mounting plate. At 9 years old I think you should replace both. I recently did and no more leaks. I also changed both hoses going into the expansion tank (besides the radiator hoses), a/t thermostat, level sensor, expansion tank, cap, and washers for a/t cooler. Oh and don't get a behr radiator...it was very difficult to screw the mounting plate to the radiator.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I initially thought it was the radiator just wanted to make sure. thanks for the responses! I'll be putting an order in for parts and changing it out hopefully next weekend.

@ Chriztofor
What radiator would you recommend?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Got a similar elusive leaking in the same area. 325Xit auto tranny. Thought I was leaking from the tranny connections. Replace both o-rings. While in there I also did upper/lower radiator hoses plus the one that is coming off the expansion tank that goes to the heater hose under the manifold. Previous owner did radiator, thermostat, expansion tank. Those parts only have 30k on them. I had a new expansion tank to swap in but it didn't sit well so I went with the 30k mileage one. Going back in this weekend to look/see. I have a new connector pipe (with o-ring) coming off the expansion tank plus the expansion/ radiator interface bracket. Also the tranny thermostat. If that doesn't do it I would suspect the radiator is bad with only 30k on it.
dlm ny country
2004 325Xit
1991 318is
1972 2002

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Radiator most likely. Unless you used a junk chinese expansion tank. Then I'd swap out that pos for a modine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
Not sure what brand was used on Radiator when replaced 30K ago. But yeah, Nissens/Behr are my choice if replacement radiator needed. I try to use OEM supplier on all the critical stuff.
dlm ny country

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
2,839 Posts
The only 2 brands of radiator are Nissens (supplies radiators to BMW) and Behr.
Hey bro, Unless something has changed there were no Nissens radiators supplied to BMW for the E46 application.

IIRC it was Behr and Langer & Reich, (L&R).
For the unininatiated, 99% of Behr replacement stuff is Chinese. No bueno.

OP, did you mention the mounting plate?

·
Registered
245 Posts
So being that I have to jump in and kinda redo finding the leak and all, I am just going to get a new radiator and finish it all off with all the stuff I have gathered. This way everything is done and I don't have to go in for a 3rd time. $80 plus shipping and all ...I went with the NIssens. Now back to my real car I just picked up. Laugh now... 1996 Geo Tracker. Mini jeep. no power windows, no power door locks. Gotta luv it.
dlm ny country

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
So being that I have to jump in and kinda redo finding the leak and all, I am just going to get a new radiator and finish it all off with all the stuff I have gathered. This way everything is done and I don't have to go in for a 3rd time. $80 plus shipping and all ...I went with the NIssens. Now back to my real car I just picked up. Laugh now... 1996 Geo Tracker. Mini jeep. no power windows, no power door locks. Gotta luv it.
dlm ny country
96 tracker was my brother's first car lol. It was smurf blue. I called him the flamboyant smurf.

·
Registered
04 325XIT 05 325IT
558 Posts
dlm ny country
Nissens is pretty good.
Good luck with the tracker- been there back in the 90' s with a Suzuki sidekick, I believe they are similar.
The canvas top was stolen right on my driveway- who does that anyway ...LOL.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Nissens is pretty good.
Good luck with the tracker- been there back in the 90' s with a Suzuki sidekick, I believe they are similar.
The canvas top was stolen right on my driveway- who does that anyway ...LOL.
I had a Suzi sidekick when I was in college. Awesome little box on wheels. Mine was a hard top.

·
Registered
04 325XIT 05 325IT
558 Posts
Hey bro, Unless something has changed there were no Nissens radiators supplied to BMW for the E46 application.

IIRC it was Behr and Langer & Reich, (L&R).
For the unininatiated, 99% of Behr replacement stuff is Chinese. No bueno.

OP, did you mention the mounting plate?
I got a Behr ET cap which is so far made in the U.K..-

1 - 15 of 15 Posts