E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a coolant leak for a while now and it looks like I found it after changing my oil filter housing gasket. It looks like it is coming from the hard plastic coolant pipes under the intake manifold. I'm going to pressurize the system to verify but it looks pretty obvious. :-(

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Wood
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Gas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Scaled reptile Close-up

Reactions: Bike Rider

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
This engine is so strange that I see exhaust manifold near the OFH. This is the dirtiest engine I have ever seen, sorry OP.
Your coolant black hard pipes turned into hot exhaust pipes look. Pull intake manifold time.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty clear what the problem is. You need to replace the hard pipes. Do a search, plenty of info on this site and YouTube. Consider cleaning up the mess left behind on your engine block :)
Yes...I need to clean up that mess! lol

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^This. Also cover or at the very least put a rag in the OFHG opening. That's a giant gaping hole in your engine block.
Yes...I will cover that hole before pressurizing the coolant systems.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This engine is so strange that I see exhaust manifold near the OFH. This is the dirtiest engine I have ever seen, sorry OP.
Your coolant black hard pipes turned into hot exhaust pipes look. Pull intake manifold time.
LOL...It is filthy! I'm not looking forward to pull that intake! I also have to replace the valve cover gasket after fixing the water pump, power steering pulley, tensioners and OFHG. :-(

·
Registered
110 Posts
LOL...It is filthy! I'm not looking forward to pull that intake! I also have to replace the valve cover gasket after fixing the water pump, power steering pulley, tensioners and OFHG. :-(
Honestly it’s not that bad! Your best bet is following 50skid video on this. It’s his replacing ccv video but it’s the one where he removes the intake manifold bc if I’m not wrong he also has a video of doing the ccv with manifold on. But honestly in the condition it’s in, that’s prolly your best bet. You’ll be able to take care of a lot with the manifold off.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Honestly it’s not that bad! Your best bet is following 50skid video on this. It’s his replacing ccv video but it’s the one where he removes the intake manifold bc if I’m not wrong he also has a video of doing the ccv with manifold on. But honestly in the condition it’s in, that’s prolly your best bet. You’ll be able to take care of a lot with the manifold off.
I've done the CCV refresh about three years ago so that's done. lol

Is this the 50's Kid video?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've done the CCV refresh about three years ago so that's done. lol

Is this the 50's Kid video?
Yes sir that’s the one.. and there’s a part 2 for install . It’s really not that bad I actually did it twice and now have to a third time 🤦‍♂️ But they say thirds the charm right! Lol shouldn’t have to go back in there again for a WHILE.. and yes to your next post about the water pipes. Coolant inlet and outlet pipes. They’re the two hard ones in there. Lol

·
Registered
110 Posts
I’m actually doing these bad boys too . Hence me going in here a third time . I should’ve gotten those very same rein ones. I would’ve saved some money.lol I got them at ecstuning, they have bavauto ones .also big thumbs up in owning sedan .. clearly I have one too 😂

·
Super Moderator
2,052 Posts
Rein coolant pipes are probably okay

but I used a cheaper aftermarket bottom pipe (probably Asian made not Rein) and it starting leaking a year after install. I had installed good quality o-rings on the cheap pipe and thought it would seal long-term….Wrong..

I hate redoing work under the intake.

genuine BMW coolant pipes for me from now on..

·
Registered
2001 330Ci 5speed
252 Posts
Be careful/gentle when removing the hard pipes. I did both my cars this summer and the end can break off and stay in the cylinder head and water pump housing. I used a small pick and bearing puller to get the broken ends out. Then a little sand paper to smooth out the rough spots before installing the new pipes. And I agree with "LoskiTheBroski" above and watched the 50's Kid video. Gave me confidence to remove the intake manifold - twice!
Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior Automotive design Automotive tire

·
Registered
2002 330 Ci
1,577 Posts
Think I’ll do just that. Makes pulling the intake in the future 10 times easier and engine makes more power
Unfortunately they are not too plentiful in the junk yard. Not sure where you are at, but won't hurt to check local yards. Ebay has them, but they go for 200 plus. Saw a few in the 180 or make offer range.

If it isn't urgent to get back together you can just chill until you get one at a decent price.

Same for the adapter plate. There's some sold in Europe for way less.

·
Registered
2004 330i
7,466 Posts
Pull it. Throw it in the trash. Convert to the m50 intake. You'll be so happy you did.
What does the m50 intake do the m54 doesnt ?

More tq or anything ?

Not to derail

Eh,did some reading ,lot more work than it's worth imo and I've built a motor or two

Maybe if you were gonna go sc ,there again, not worth it on a 6 imo

Carry on

1 - 20 of 32 Posts