BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Issue# 1:
Lately I've had the low coolant light on for the second time in 2 weeks. I've never had to fill up(up to 2 18z cup of cooland and distill water ) this frequent for 4 months until recently. I saw some small drips under the car . In the last 6-12 months, I've already replaced the waterpump, radiator, front 2 large hoses and haven't had any problems until now. I have not replaced the back hoses as highlighted. Suggestion? Should I take it in the shop and have them look at it as it's likely they will have to lift the car and how much should it cost me.

Issue# 2: I had this rear light on or a week now. I check the rear brakes and rear lights and they are still good. This light code is call the Check Control LCD. What is the fix?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Check the coolant expansion tank. They have a tendancy to go bad at about ~60K - 75K miles or so. There's at least one DIY on this site for the tank.

Second problem: Do the lights in question have bulbs from the dealer or bulbs from a parts store? Bulbs from the dealer have stainless steel contacts that never corrode. The ones from a parts store almost always have brass contacts that can corrode. The Check Module sends an electrical signal to each bulb every XX seconds (less than 60 seconds) and measures the returned electrical signal. If the returned signal is less than the specification, the Check Module will illuminate the indicator in the dash.

Now, some members have reported that their tail light assembly ground connection (brown wire on the wire side connector) goes bad from overheating, resulting in either an intermittant or constant "light bulb bad" indication in the dash. I'd check the connectors on both tail light assemblies. :str8pimpi

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I fix the back light issue; it was just the license plate lights that need replacement. I didn't realize how easy it way to pull the back lights out.

Also, does any one know how much coolant will spill if I pull the left hose out???(that attaches to the left side of the thermostat) I think that left hose it either broken or the missing clip that holds the sensor to it that I've lost and didn't put back in is the cause of it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts