BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When looking for a fan for the mechanical to electric fan conversion, I wasn't able to find anything about the Cool Xpert fan. So I decided to take some picture and post them here.

The fan is made by Cool Xpert, and is a replacement for BMW part # 17117561757.

Unfortunately, I still don't have any idea where it's made. The fan doesn't have any "made in" markings that I can find. I am assuming, though, that it's made in China.

It was $240 from FCP. I'm happy with it for the price. There doesn't seem to be anything bad about its construction, but only time will tell how good of a part it is.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-auxiliary-fan-assembly-e46-cool-xpert-17117561757

The pictures:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BMW-North will likely chime in on this as he's our resident electric fan expert. If not, I'd PM him.
It would be great if someone knows where this fan is made, but I was just sort of generally posting the photos so that anyone considering this fan can get an idea of what it looks like, its construction, etc.

I wish the photos were a bit better. They're just iPhone pictures, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I bought a CoolXpert aux fan a couple years ago. No complaints other than the rubber mounting grommets that came with it didn't fit over the car's locating studs. A quick swap over of the OE grommets solved the dilemma.

I too was searching for some "made in" info on the fan. IIRC I finally found some print on the box label that said "made in Taiwan" Like I said...been happy with it so far.

I've actually been trying out some coolxpert products...mechanical fan blades in both my E46 and E36, fan clutch for the E36, and one other part I'm forgetting. No problems whatsoever.

Gonna reserve judgement until later but I've almost concluded that CoolXpert is a reliable, lower cost alternative to OE.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought a CoolXpert aux fan a couple years ago. No complaints other than the rubber mounting grommets that came with it didn't fit over the car's locating studs. A quick swap over of the OE grommets solved the dilemma.

I too was searching for some "made in" info on the fan. IIRC I finally found some print on the box label that said "made in Taiwan" Like I said...been happy with it so far.

I've actually been trying out some coolxpert products...mechanical fan blades in both my E46 and E36, fan clutch for the E36, and one other part I'm forgetting. No problems whatsoever.

Gonna reserve judgement until later but I've almost concluded that CoolXpert is a reliable, lower cost alternative to OE.
A lot of the Cool Xpert stuff actually is OE and made in Germany. The expansion tank is sold as Cool Xpert, even though it seems to be Modine. I believe the OE fan blade is Cool Xpert.

I'll have to take another look at the box. Will definitely make sure to post a picture if I find a country of origin. Made in Taiwan parts are usually better than made in China, at least.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Made in Taiwan parts are usually better than made in China, at least.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the label. Don't have any data to back it up though...just a general opinion.

·
Premium Member
2016 340i & 2002 325Ci
3,272 Posts
Got mine at RMEuropean in June of 2015 for $170. If I'd like a lifetime warranty on any part though, it'd definitely be the electric fan. Seems like a well built component. If mine fails while I own the car I'll replace it with the OEM Bosch Mazda 3 fan.

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
Got mine at RMEuropean in June of 2015 for $170. If I'd like a lifetime warranty on any part though, it'd definitely be the electric fan. Seems like a well built component. If mine fails while I own the car I'll replace it with the OEM Bosch Mazda 3 fan.
What does a Bosch Mazda 3 fan fit our cars and cost less or somthing?

·
Registered
229 Posts
The fan motors are not the problem as most will last for years unless there is a defect in the winding. It's the module that controls them that will fail first. Basically the module is an ESC electronic speed controller and are poorly made. I'm sure if you jump your old fan at the 2 wires that go to the motor it will spin (maybe not since it is 10+ years old). The module that controls it is usually the source of the problem which could result in burning out the motor winding due to too low of a voltage.
CoolXpert is located in Geesthacht, Germany. Probably an OE Manufacture / OE Supplier like Bosch that offer parts to the aftermarket.

·
Registered
2006 330ci zhp
1,989 Posts
I also have had a CoolExpert fan for about two years now and it works fine but I do have one complaint about it. It seems a little warped which makes it hard to get mounted in the lower mounts against the radiator. I have to jack up the front end and remove the plastic belly pan to make sure it mounted correctly flush against the radiator.

·
Registered
M3
2,684 Posts
I also have had a CoolExpert fan for about two years now and it works fine but I do have one complaint about it. It seems a little warped which makes it hard to get mounted in the lower mounts against the radiator. I have to jack up the front end and remove the plastic belly pan to make sure it mounted correctly flush against the radiator.
That's interesting. My Behr fan is perfectly straight. I'll add that the construction of it overall feels quite rigid.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
That's exactly what I thought when I saw the label. Don't have any data to back it up though...just a general opinion.
I checked the box over yesterday and didn't see any country of origin label. It's possible, of course, that the sticker came off.

·
// Quandt AG (Retired) //
3,683 Posts
I contacted BBR (CoolXpert parent company) in April this year to inquire about this fan - see here:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=16949394&postcount=23

They never returned my email.

In looking at the pics the construction of the fan module has the two lock tabs in the exact same location as the Depo version. It also has the same black motor and plastic motor cover as the Depo. The Depo fan was made of Chinese and Taiwanese components. This setup looks almost identical. A better view and possible confirmation would be to pop off the motor cover and take a pic of the interior circuit board and soldered connections. - refer to my guide for views of the Chinese versus Bosch quality differences Pages 35 -45

BMW-North E46 Electric Fan Guide

Edit: CoolXpert appear to be setup similar to Meyle Germany - the only thing German is in the name (and an empty satellite office in the country - all manufacturing is contracted offshore primarily in Asia.) My rule of thumb is to beware any company that uses a reference to a German Geographic location in their name - it is a common deceptive practice:

Meyle Germany
Hamburg Technic
Deutche Parts
CoolXpert Germany

1 - 13 of 13 Posts