BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 325xi 5 speed......

Have you ever noticed when in 5th gear the tachometer and speedometer needles remain PERFECTLY parallel throughout their range?

I'm sure this is attributed to the 1 to 1 gearing of 5th gear. But very cool that the German engineers designed the guages so that they keep parallel.

On my e46 M3 this is not true, due to the 180mph speedo the needles never run in parallel.

·
Registered
331 Posts
2002 325xi 5 speed......

Have you ever noticed when in 5th gear the tachometer and speedometer needles remain PERFECTLY parallel throughout their range?

I'm sure this is attributed to the 1 to 1 gearing of 5th gear. But very cool that the German engineers designed the guages so that they keep parallel.

On my e46 M3 this is not true, due to the 180mph speedo the needles never run in parallel.
It is possible to take a picture ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I noticed that the day i got mine, Cruisin home on the freeway in 5th goin 80. both needles perfectly straight up. It's like the car is giving me two thumbs up! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Have seen quite a few cars with matching needles as described.

If your speedo matches your GPS, you've fitted wrong size tires, as BMW purposely designs speedos to read low for legal reasons. Of course your "perfection" will change as the tires wear as it will should you fit that same-size tire from another brand.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
you've fitted wrong size tires, as BMW purposely designs speedos to read low for legal reasons.
Oh Really? Wrong size huh?

Are the BMW police going to pull me over for having 235/40/18's?

I have 4 sets of wheels/tires- all different sizes. None of them are 'wrong size tires'.

I'm just going to give these out now::facepalm:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Oh Really? Wrong size huh?

Are the BMW police going to pull me over for having 235/40/18's?

I have 4 sets of wheels/tires- all different sizes. None of them are 'wrong size tires'.

I'm just going to give these out now::facepalm:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
242 Posts
So the speedo tells you that you are travelling slower than you actually are? :rofl:
Actullay they tell you you're going faster than you really are. Just checked a local radar gun/speed readout sign today driving my new Xi, and it read 47 when my speedo and OBC read 50. My e28 is off exactly the same amount.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Me thinks your speedo is off, Mannydog.... :thumbdwn:

My speedo precisely matches local speed-display signs, and it takes me exactly 51 seconds to travel one mile on local interstate highway speedometer calibration sections of the highway. :thumbup:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Me thinks your speedo is off, Mannydog.... :thumbdwn:
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. By 3 mph at 50.
I've heard for years that BMW speedos tend to read optimisitc.

BTW, howdy to someone else from the upper left hand corner.

As to the OP's point. I agree its a cool observation. Once in a while, at lower reves, I'm not sure if I'm in 3rd or 5th, and I realized that's a quick reality check. If the needles are more or less parallel, I'm in 5th.:idea:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts