E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 330Cic, Live in NC, and garage my car over the winter months. Should I leave the top closed or can I put it down. It just looks sooo good with the top down. Will it hurt anything with it down? Thanks in advance. Tim

·
Banned
1,051 Posts
if garage is heated, & likely it is since you own a BMW, just keep it up for most of the time, & when you wanna get a woody on occasion, just put it down on the odd weekend. if not heated, don't put it down.

Problem solved.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree about the possibility of lines from keeping down. If you really do want to keep it down, make sure your boot is clean, don't want the fabric resting on any muck for a long time...

·
Registered
54 Posts
How can it rest on dirt in the boot zanth119 ? The roof folds down into the container box in the roof of the boot (trunk). I would have thought that it was un-adviseable to store the car with the roof down compressed into the container in the boot, makes more sense to leave it up so it can keep its shape. :D

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I've actually wondered about storing it in a mid-position. Seems that if you were to stop the closing process right before the top locked to the windshield, the fabric would be open and relaxed, so it wouldn't get too wrinkled and it wouldn't get too stretched.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I've actually wondered about storing it in a mid-position. Seems that if you were to stop the closing process right before the top locked to the windshield, the fabric would be open and relaxed, so it wouldn't get too wrinkled and it wouldn't get too stretched.
Why would you cause the components to strain themselves to hold it in that position when it can just stay closed?

·
Banned
1,051 Posts
This brings me to the Q.....

What about several months storage of top DOWN when having a HARDTOP on.... :hmm:

·
Registered
43 Posts
OK, so I have two 330 verts that are stored in the garage from November to April with OEM BMW covers. One of the tops is kept closed, as the car is detailed before it's put away for the five months of non use. Therefore, no dirt gets inside of the car. The other vert is in the down position because the hardtop is installed. In the spring time when the cars are put on the road again, I see no difference in the two tops, one stored up and one stored down.

·
Registered
89 Posts
OK, so I have two 330 verts that are stored in the garage from November to April with OEM BMW covers. One of the tops is kept closed, as the car is detailed before it's put away for the five months of non use. Therefore, no dirt gets inside of the car. The other vert is in the down position because the hardtop is installed. In the spring time when the cars are put on the road again, I see no difference in the two tops, one stored up and one stored down.
I'm in Miami, and I store my car - top up - from June to November, and use it, leaving the top down nearly all the time, from November through May. Top is fine and has no wrinkles or strong marks, nor is it stretched. When I put it up in June, I don't notice any fold marks.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm in Miami, and I store my car - top up - from June to November, and use it, leaving the top down nearly all the time, from November through May. Top is fine and has no wrinkles or strong marks, nor is it stretched. When I put it up in June, I don't notice any fold marks.
Same here except opposite months, plus hardtop use during winter. My top is stowed 10 months of the year with no ill effects.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Snow is a ***** in Miami during the summer months!! Joking...why store your car in Miami? Curious.

- Danny

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think they recommend that the top not stay down -- the idea is that you take the hard top off occassionally and stretch the soft top by closing it - but that, in colder climates, seems impossible -- and in warm climates - there is not need for the hard top (other than looks).

I would not keep the top down for only one reason -- you will allow dust in cabin.

enjoy your e46!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Snow is a ***** in Miami during the summer months!! Joking...why store your car in Miami? Curious.

- Danny
...because that is where I live (?). The 330cic is not so agreeable during the summer months: it's too hot (and the sun too strong) to go around with the top down, and with the top up the visibility isn't great. Much more comfortable is the other car I use, a Lexus RX350, on which the A/C works very fast, very well, visibility is superb, etc... Also, I usually drive to Toronto for a couple of months during the summer (1500 miles +), and the choice of car to drive is the RX - a lot more comfortable, more silent, can carry more, but, more importantly, much better visibility sitting higher up. In the BMW I always have to leave a larger space between my car and the (usually SUV or truck) ahead (because I cannot see what is front of them), and people (in SUVs) just come sliding in ahead of me. On long trips, the RX is great. But, come cooler weather (for us in FL), the BMW is where it's at.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think they recommend that the top not stay down -- the idea is that you take the hard top off occassionally and stretch the soft top by closing it - but that, in colder climates, seems impossible -- and in warm climates - there is not need for the hard top (other than looks).

I would not keep the top down for only one reason -- you will allow dust in cabin.

enjoy your e46!
One of the problems I found driving top down in the 330ci is the damn brake dust. So, I changed to Akebono ceramic brake pads and am super happy with them. I also "never" have to clean the wheels!

·
Registered
60 Posts
How can it rest on dirt in the boot zanth119 ? The roof folds down into the container box in the roof of the boot (trunk). I would have thought that it was un-adviseable to store the car with the roof down compressed into the container in the boot, makes more sense to leave it up so it can keep its shape. :D
Sorry, poor phrasing on my part, should have said "roof storage compartment" as opposed to "boot" (must remember to be sensitive with our UK friends and their version of our language :D )

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
up so the fabric stays stretched.
if its down, you will find the fabric shrink over time.
I had a wangler before, if I leave the top down for sometime, its almost impossible to put it back on. tho BMW's should have better fabric.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts