BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Are you referencing the big sliding part or the small removable cover? The larger sliding part is notorious for having the spring detaching. Sometimes, you can find the spring still attached to the folding roof mechanism as it has a tendency to break off from the plastic tab on the cover. I fixed both of mine (and a good friends) with a small piece of tin, folded over the plastic and epoxied into place. I then drilled a new pilot hole for the spring to attach to.

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/it/showparts?id=BS11-EUR-11-2000-E46-BMW-320Ci&diagId=51_4087

if the plastic cover is still ok (but 99% times is broken on the bottom hook of the spring) you need only the spring n.13: Tension spring 51438163692

the plastic cover (sliding ones) are n. 51437022393 and 51437022394

the plastic cover that acts a "rail" for the cover (in most case they're ok, problem is only with the sliding ones) are n.9, 51438240795 and 51438240796

first thing to do: verify if the plastic covers have the spring hook broken. Take a look here, you will find all your answers.
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1086409

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks to this thread, I did my first official repair this weekend to my '04 330Ci. Sure enough, the plastic broke where the spring connected so I did the "free" method highlighted in the referenced thread. This forum rocks!!

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Thanks to this thread, I did my first official repair this weekend to my '04 330Ci. Sure enough, the plastic broke where the spring connected so I did the "free" method highlighted in the referenced thread. This forum rocks!!
That is sure to work but the push rod inside the spring won't have a flat surface to push against.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That is sure to work but the push rod inside the spring won't have a flat surface to push against.
Very true... with the little amount of work it's required to do, it works pretty well. My push rod ends are bigger than the rod (mushroomed out) so it doesn't seem to have any trouble doing it's job. Very good point tho.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Very true... with the little amount of work it's required to do, it works pretty well. My push rod ends are bigger than the rod (mushroomed out) so it doesn't seem to have any trouble doing it's job. Very good point tho.
I think the push rod actually keeps the spring from completely relaxing and becoming detached from the lid. One should note that the push rod actually extends beyond one end of the unsprung spring itself when installed - for a reason. When my first cover broke, I drilled a new pilot hole next to the original hole (that had become a slot) and put the spring back on without the push rod. It worked for a while but then started to detach at the cover end. I then did the tin repair and reinstalled the spring with the push rod (glad I saved it) and it's been working fine ever since. One thing I noticed when the spring was attached sans push rod was that the roof mechanism itself pushes the cover the small distance just fine, but as noted, can become detached due to the spring being completely relaxed.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
One thing I noticed when the spring was attached sans push rod was that the roof mechanism itself pushes the cover the small distance just fine...
I think another fix for this issue could be a rubber band attached with small paperclips at both ends. I mean, the spring's only real purpose is to hold the cover closed and a rubber band could achieve that same result.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts