E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Guys,
Issue I am facing and need your inputs.
e46 330ci, car storage cover does not open during top down/up sequence.
Here is the video link:

Here are the sequence of events:
Top Lowering Sequence-
CVM activates top lock motor - working
CVM signals the GM to lower the windows - working
CVM activates hydraulic pump, Tension bow is raised - working
Storage compartment cover unlocked - working
CVM receives status of cover lock from GM - probably not working (how to check?)
Storage cover raised - not working (although there is a noise from some motor at 00:30 sec)

Further details reference from @taylor192
• Top Switch Pressed “Open”
• CVM activates the top lock motor and the top is unlocked and raised past the tension point (LED switch flashing).
• At the same time, the CVM signals the GM to lower the windows (if closed) for approximately 1.5 seconds.
• Top lock motor is switched OFF - signal from cowl released hall sensor (S145).
• CVM activates hydraulic pump and switches the tension bow solenoid (V4) to raise the tension bow.
• Tension bow is raised to its vertical position - signal from tensioning bow angle hall sensor.
• CVM signals GM to unlock storage compartment cover.
• Storage compartment cover unlocked - signal from motor hall sensor (S700) - storage cover lock motor is switched off.
• CVM receives status of cover lock from GM over K-bus - switches storage cover solenoid (V1).
• Storage cover raised to its open position - signal from cover hall sensor (S188).

• CVM switches to the lowering solenoid for the tension bow (V3) - top starts lowering into storage compartment.
• CVM switches the main pillar solenoid (v2) - top is fully lowered into storage
compartment.
• CVM switches solenoid for top cover (V1) - cover is lowered - signal from storage cover lock hall sensors (S161 and S158).
• CVM signals GM to lock storage compartment cover.
• GM activates cover lock motor - cover is pulled closed by lock assemblies.
• GM switches off lock motor - signal from motor hall sensor (S700).
• CVM switches off hydraulics and LED.

More info, answering a few que:
A. Does the top work in reverse? Ie if you lift the lid, manually fold the top into the storage area and rest the lid ontop can you:
1. Push the open button to get the lid to clamp down? - yes it locks itself
2. Push the close button to get the lid to raise and start closing? -no, it doesn't raise.

B. If you lift the lid manually (do not fold the top into the storage area), press the open button- it pulls down with force and top doesn't fold itself down to the storage.

Top seems to get stuck at the underlined step.
My suspicion: Hall sensor S700, solenoid (V1).

Que: how to diagnose it?

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Issue I am facing and need your inputs.
e46 330ci, car storage cover does not open during top down/up sequence.
Firstly, super good video to show what is happening for diagnosis. Being able to hear the pump etc is important to work out what is going on.

I think you have correctly identified where the problem is, that being the activation of V1 to open the cover. The cover is clearly unlocking as you can do it manually.

Look at the images below. The way V1 works with the hyd jacks is the following.

With no power applied, hyd pressure goes to the close side of the jacks, which forces the lid closed. This is the top image. When V1 activates it then allows pressure to be ported to the other side of the jack also. Due to the difference in surface area on each side of the piston, it then forces the lid open, even though pressure is on both sides.

To diagnose, this is what I'd do. Attempt to open like you did and when it gets stuck, try and pull up the lid with your hand while the button is still being pressed in the cabin. If it feels like the lid is being held down by hyd pressure then V1 would seem to be your problem.

Why? Either broken or clogged is my guess. Video at the bottom shows how to diagnose/clean etc. Google for a video on how to get access to the pump, as this is where V1 lives. Depending on the car's manufacture year, you may see either one or two solenoids on the pump. The one at the top is V1 if you see two solenoids (like in the video below). If there is only one solenoid then this is V1.

Lid closing
Rectangle Slope Line Font Parallel

Lid opening
Rectangle Slope Font Line Parallel

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jjrichar what a detailed reply, thanks.
I tried your steps to diagnose by manually lifting the lid and it feels like the lid is being held down by hyd pressure.
So, V1 is either being bad, clogged or not being activated. Also, I checked the resistance on V1 and it shows 11 Ω (and has continuity)
Before I do a post-mortem on V1:
Que: Can it still be the case where V1 is not being activated? (trunk is locked during top down so I can't probe V1)
In that case may be Hall sensor S700 is bad or GM to CVM signaling wire is bad?
Que: Is there a way to diagnose them?

Fluid Gas Electrical wiring Machine Wire

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Is there a way to diagnose them?
Get an OBD K+D cable (ebay), download BMW tools (available here on the forum for free) and use INPA to see the response from the control unit, sensors and solenoids. You will see the outputs from the hall sensors and microswitches and it's pretty simple to see if things are working OK. It's an essential tool in diagnosing issues with the roof.

Note that if the CVM detects an error due a component failure or the boot open it won't move anything.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Note that if the CVM detects an error due a component failure or the boot open it won't move anything.
The video clearly shows that isn't the case.

Given that it was noted that resistance can be felt when manually raising the Tonneau Cover, the Drive mechanism that raises the Tonneau Cover may be bad. It's #22 in this diagram. It's a common failure point in that the cover on the part itself comes loose and allows the gear to slip out of place. It's actually located under the rear seat. Visually inspect it and get back to us. Several DIY remedies can be found on this site.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Given that it was noted that resistance can be felt when manually raising the Tonneau Cover, the Drive mechanism that raises the Tonneau Cover may be bad. It's #22 in this diagram. It's a common failure point in that the cover on the part itself comes loose and allows the gear to slip out of place. It's actually located under the rear seat. Visually inspect it and get back to us. Several DIY remedies can be found on this site.
I assumed this wasn't the case as the OP was able to manually open the tonneau cover in the video after turning the ignition off. Hence my suggestion of checking that it was being held down by hydraulics and a possible V1 problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have attached the error report I got from INPA. Any suggestions?
storage cover unlocks/locks so GM (the motor runs and gears are in place) and Hall sensor should be ok.
I also checked if there isn't any voltage input to V1 during whole operation (top down).
video link: BMWe46 CVM V1 voltage test topdown
So V1 may not be getting any signals to operate.
Where the problem may lie?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
I have attached the error report I got from INPA. Any suggestions?
There's a bunch of weird stuff in there that I haven't seen before. It seems strange that it even moves if those codes are present.

Did you delete the codes and then run the roof to find what reappears? If not, this is the first thing I'd do. After deleting the errors codes run the roof once and then see what codes reappear.

Also I would suggest opening the 'status' page and look at inputs/outputs to see if all looks OK (eg. buttons showing pressed when pressed etc) and also the outputs from the sensors are correct.

Best way I've found to do check sensor output is to move the roof to about the place where it's getting stuck, release the button and turn off the ignition. At this position everything is unlocked. Allow the system to depressurise for a minute and then turn on the ignition again. You can now move all the roof components by hand and look at the status page for all the live outputs as you move it.

On the status page you will also see if V1 is being commanded to open the soft top lid when you are moving in normal powered mode where it's getting stuck. Clearly no voltage is getting there but you want to check the CVM is attempting to activate the solenoid.

·
Registered
2006 330ci Convertible ZHP
9 Posts
For what it’s worth, that looks exactly like the problem I had when the hydraulic pump for the convertible top was not working due to bad seals. Replacing the pump solved the issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Cleared all errors and re did test got following 1 error:
"97 -Verdeckkleppe wird nicht geoeffnet, Timeout" (Attachment 1)

jjrichar, Tried manually the suggestion:
"Best way I've found to do check sensor output is to move the roof to about the place where it's getting stuck, release the button and turn off the ignition. At this position everything is unlocked. Allow the system to depressurise for a minute and then turn on the ignition again. You can now move all the roof components by hand and look at the status page for all the live outputs as you move it."
Results are in Attachment 2 but I think you might be referring to some other status page as I don't see V1 and other sensor data here.
How to read V1 and other sensor live data?

burntoutrubber, this is the video for fluid level, do you think it is the root cause of the problem?
BMWe46 CVM V1 voltage test topdown

cnila001, I see. In this as per the above video seems like hydraulic pump is working but V1 is not getting a go to lift the storage cover.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Cleared all errors and re did test got following 1 error:
"97 -Verdeckkleppe wird nicht geoeffnet, Timeout" (Attachment 1)
On your first image of the status page, notice the green down arrow on bottom right. This tells you there is more information below. Hit the down arrow on your keyboard to see the pages below. There's lots more information.

The error message you are getting is after you turn the ignition off, as the CVM has had the power interrupted. Turn the ignition on and hit 'yes' to try again. If this doesn't work, exit from the CVM, turn the ignition on and then go back into the CVM.

Second image of the code tells me there are no electrical errors detected and the lid isn't opening in the allowable time. The fact you have tested the voltage at V1 is indicating to me there is a problem with the CVM getting the voltage to V1.

Here's my suggestion.
At the bottom of the first image you will see the 'activate' option. Go in here and see if you can activate V1. You should hear it click. It's subtle, but you should hear it easily with the insulation removed and your ear close. I sometimes find after each solenoid activation you need to go back to the CVM top menu and then go back into the activate menu again to try again. It seems to be a bit hit and miss.

If this isn't working I'd remove the solenoid and apply 12V. It should be obvious if it's activating. If not, clean like in the video I posted above.

If it's activating fine using 12V but not using the CVM, I suspect there might be a CVM problem.

Probably not a wiring or connection problem because if there was you would get a code for this. Easily testing by simply disconnecting the solenoid and seeing what code you get as this is creating a break in the circuit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is the video of recording valve & switch values while pressing top down button (upto when it gets stuck)
I see all valves toggle except 'valve hydraulics pressureless' (i don't know if that is an issue)
When it gets suck i.e. when it stops at storage cover to open, then I go to 'activate' option. and press one of the six active valve option but I hear something clicks somewhere in CVM area and whole system depressurizes but storage cover does not open. (lid is closed so I can't get into trunk to hear V1 click)
I repeated whole process with all six active valve options. None of them opened storage trunk.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
I think the valve pressureless is for the valve you don't have due to it being later model. Everything else seems to be giving correct indications.

Like I describe above, with the system depressurised you can open the boot and listen to the solenoid when you attempt to activate. Activating in this way just activates the solenoid and nothing else. It's not going to move the roof as the pump isn't working when you do this. It's for testing individual components in isolation. You need to get your ear right next to it to hear the click.

Have you removed the solenoid and tested like I show in the video. The CVM seems to think it's sending power to the solenoid but it's not activating for some reason. First step is to see if the solenoid works when removed and you apply 12V.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Like I describe above, with the system depressurised you can open the boot and listen to the solenoid when you attempt to activate. Activating in this way just activates the solenoid and nothing else. It's not going to move the roof as the pump isn't working when you do this. It's for testing individual components in isolation. You need to get your ear right next to it to hear the click.
After system is depressurised but hood only opens when Storage compartment cover is locked i.e. end of operation.
During mid way (when top is stuck) if I try to hear from outside for any click from solenoid I don't hear anything.
Also any idea which of the six active valve options corresponds to V1 in INPA?

First of all super thankful for deep dive analysis.
I was avoiding removing the solenoid as I thought to run more experiment to confirm if solenoid is the problem.
So far it doesn't seem to be because (plz correct me if I am wrong):
1. As per the this video seems like V1 is not getting any voltage during the whole operation to lift the storage cover BMWe46 CVM V1 voltage test topdown (click the link).
2. When Car is off I applied 12V manually across V1 and it clicks fine. I only had to connect +ive terminal and I hear click so ground wire is fine.

Que: If CVM is sending the signal as per this video but V1 is not getting any voltage as per above video then can the problem be in wire? Should we check that?
Or still remove solenoid?

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
After system is depressurised but hood only opens when Storage compartment cover is locked i.e. end of operation.
During mid way (when top is stuck) if I try to hear from outside for any click from solenoid I don't hear anything.
Also any idea which of the six active valve options corresponds to V1 in INPA?

First of all super thankful for deep dive analysis.
I was avoiding removing the solenoid as I thought to run more experiment to confirm if solenoid is the problem.
So far it doesn't seem to be because (plz correct me if I am wrong):
1. As per the this video seems like V1 is not getting any voltage during the whole operation to lift the storage cover BMWe46 CVM V1 voltage test topdown (click the link).
2. When Car is off I applied 12V manually across V1 and it clicks fine. I only had to connect +ive terminal and I hear click so ground wire is fine.

Que: If CVM is sending the signal as per this video but V1 is not getting any voltage as per above video then can the problem be in wire? Should we check that?
Or still remove solenoid?
In the activate section of INPA from memory they are just called V1-5. So activate V1.
You can do this with the boot lid open, as it just activates the solenoid and nothing else.
You could remove the solenoid but still have it connected electrically. Hold in your hand and activate using INPA.

The problem could be the wire, but I would expect the open circuit would be detected by the CVM. Disconnect the V1 plug and see what INPA errors you get. I would expect the same with a wiring problem. You could also check the wiring connectivity between the solenoid and CVM.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts