BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally had enough of the annoying rattle from the back so off to the dealer I went. I've read every thread on this issue from this and other boards and had little faith that the dealer would help. But to my surprise, problem solved. If you have a convertible and can't stay ahead of the annoying squeak/rattle coming from the back seat by lubing the rubber seals and window grooves, then you need this fix.

There is a service bulletin as I read in another post. It maybe this one -Service measure #54-200-03. Basically where the squeak/rattle comes from is the loose interface between the tops rubber seal and the compartment lid. The seal is great for stopping water and wind but it doesn't press with enough force and that is where the noise comes from. What BMW does is take some rubber tubing and insert it into the rubber seal to give it more structural integrity. Viola! No more noise. If anyone is interested, I can snap some photos of there work. Service guy said it was a PITA and took 3 techs to accomplish the task. I'm a happy guy again.

·
flock killer
893 Posts
There is a service bulletin as I read in another post. It maybe this one -Service measure #54-200-03. Basically where the squeak/rattle comes from is the loose interface between the tops rubber seal and the compartment lid. The seal is great for stopping water and wind but it doesn't press with enough force and that is where the noise comes from. What BMW does is take some rubber tubing and insert it into the rubber seal to give it more structural integrity. Viola! No more noise. If anyone is interested, I can snap some photos of there work. Service guy said it was a PITA and took 3 techs to accomplish the task. I'm a happy guy again.
This is exactly what they did to my vert at Town + Country stealer in Toronto. I haven't had a chance to go back and ask, so thanks for sharing!

The foreman said that the tubing they inserted may not always sit the same as when installed after lots of usage, so I would keep my ears peeled for any changes and let them know at your next service or even before if it gets annoying. I don't think there's ever a permanent fix.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
interested in your pix - please post up :)

This is a freebie, regardless if you're past warranty right?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I had this fix done, about 2 years ago, as I was getting a constant rattle. It stopped that rattle. I now have, a constant squeek, sounds like something rubbing on plastic. I've Gummiphledged the top's rubber seal and used silicon lube on the plastic deck but, so far, no luck.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pics... I hope

Tubing goes to about halfway around.

Disturbing to know this may not be a pernament fix.

Strange to me... my previous ride was a 323 convertible. I had none of these problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Can u pls post the pics (if you still have it).. I know its an old thread.. Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mickey mouse

Can u pls post the pics (if you still have it).. I know its an old thread.. Thanks!
So, what the bulletin has the service guys do is to cut open the weather stripping on one or both ends and then thread a long piece of fairly stiff plastic tubing through the now-opened hollow of the weather stripping.

This makes the combination of weather stripping and reinforcing plastic tubing more resilient (stiffer) than the weather stripping alone was and in firmer contact with the channel of the top's deck lid where it makes contact when the roof is up.

Seems a bit of a kludge. Not very good initial design of the top, either. A pity, too, as the top is almost completely quiet when down and this is the only noise I hear (plasticy creaking over bumps or rough road) when the top is up on my 2006 M3 vert (25,000 miles).

I tried waxing the channel and Gummifluging the weather stripping and that helped noticably, for a short time.

Great car with a few very annoying problems, this being maybe the worst because it is ALWAYS there when top is up.

- nopcbs

·
Registered
40 Posts
Details, details...

pics... I hope

Tubing goes to about halfway around.

Disturbing to know this may not be a pernament fix.

Strange to me... my previous ride was a 323 convertible. I had none of these problems.

Looks like the dealer made a diagonal cut in the weather-stripping to access the channel inside. The weather stripping is hollow during most of its length, but is sealed together for the last few inches at either end, so, presumably the cut was made just past the sealed area. The overall length of the weather-stripping is about 7 feet and I'd guess you need about 6 feet of the red silicone rubber tubing they use (3.5 mm ID 7.5 mm OD) to do the reinforcement all the way.

BMW wants about $25 for 1 meter of the recommended tubing (PN 11-74-7-797-050 ). Not sure what calibre hand gun they hold on you when you buy it at that price, but they should use something like that.

·
Registered
619 Posts
People who have had this done....
was the "Rattle" more like a clank? Or Plastic flapping on Metal?
- Tough to recreate and not consistent when going over bumps versus not?
I actually had this happen just driving down the highway - no bumps. Also happens periodically w/ Bumps

Bottom line I've been chasing this sound for 3 months now and its making me crazy

Eliminated:
Suspension
Shock Mounts
Battery
Jack/Tools
Spare Tire

Any input appreciated

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've seen this service bulletin and did this quite easily with this tubing:

I didn't have to cut into the rear bow seal though, you can release it from the frame on each side (at least on my 2002). There is a short foam insulation piece 3-4 inches that I removed from inside, inserted the tube that was cut to cover half the roof, then put foam back in and reattach seal to the frame. This quietened down my roof a lot. The tubing I used was 7mm rather than 7.5mm so maybe that's the reason they struggled

·
Registered
24 Posts
Finally had enough of the annoying rattle from the back so off to the dealer I went. I've read every thread on this issue from this and other boards and had little faith that the dealer would help. But to my surprise, problem solved. If you have a convertible and can't stay ahead of the annoying squeak/rattle coming from the back seat by lubing the rubber seals and window grooves, then you need this fix.

Yeah, I got a roll of that tubing and someday I’ll do it...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts