BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Anyone have experience with trying to subdue the convertible shake when you go over bumps (especially with one wheel)? I have an '06 M3 and am considering getting a hardtop to reduce the shake because it bugs me to no end.

Thanks

·
Registered
293 Posts
Verts are built with a very rigided frame, it should not be shaking. Drive slower over the speed bumps and try not to 2 wheel it.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
do you mean it "creaks" and "groans" a little?

that's what a convertible does :)

There are some threads here about this and people recommend lubing the seals to help - I tried it but no luck. I just deal with it and learn to live with it.

You've got a 333 HP convertible - life's good - don't sweat the small noises :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hardtop for change in look, better insulation during winter, extend the life of your soft top - Sure.

But as far as "reducing the shake", or creak/rattle -hmmmm - a hard top might probably reduce some of it. But your soft top shouldn't be rattling at this early stage of ownership. Did you take a tech for a spin and replicate the problem so they could check the fitment and seal and locking mechanism?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not talking about creaks or squeaks, but physical twisting of the car. I notice the rearview mirror shake a little every time I go over ripples in the road. I used to have an e36 M3 sedan and this is a whole lot different.

Thanks for the ideas/comments!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I took the service tech out in my 04 m3 and he said that windshield movement that is also moving the rearview mirror is normal. bugs me too

·
Registered
43 Posts
a hardtop isnt going to provide any structural strength. the shake is especially noticeable to you because sedans are even more rigid that coupes.

it doesnt have any reinforcements or major locking points. it weighs about 70 lbs and it just a thin sheet of metal with a headliner. its held onto the car by a small pin on each side and 2 small latches on the front.

all it will give in terms of improvements is quieter ride (assuming that it fits your car perfectly) because the air flows more smoothely over flat metal than fabric.

the lack of structural rigidity is the cost of having a convertible. thats why people that are really into tracking their cars dont get convertibles (besides the fact that some tracks dont allow them).

·
Registered
224 Posts
You could try fitting a strut brace but it probably won't help all that much. What you're talking about is called 'scuttle shake' and it happens on all convertibles. It used to be a lot worse on previous models and each generation gets stiffer and stiffer. The only way to avoid it is to buy a car that was designed as a convertible in the first place, like a Z4 or a Boxster, and even then you still get it a little.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Conv shakes......

This is my 3rd 3 Series convertable. The front windshild is not supported like a hard top coupe. All 3 have had the same shake. I shut my eyes when I hit a bump.:pimpin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts