BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering to trade in my car for a convertible. Can people list all the common problems that are found on convertibles?

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bimmer,
I have had my M3 convertible since August. The only problem I can see is that when the weather turns cold, I still want to drive with the top down. Other than that, I haven't seen the cowl shake or any other noises. The weight of the car is greater than the coupe so if you are looking for performance, don't get the convertible. If you want to enjoy open air driving in one of the most fun cars to drive, I would say go for it :thumbup: If you live in an area that turns cold during winter, I would consider the wind deflector and the hardtop. I'm going to be looking for the wind deflector in the near future. Does anyone have a place that they can recommend for the wind deflector? I have been seeing around $300 from Circle BMW. Is that the going rate?

Best of luck on your decision.

JAFO

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Im not going to bash any convertible owner because I almost bought one when I got my M3 but the things that stopped me were the following :
1) a BUNCH slower than the coupe
2) extra weight
3) lost structural rigidity
4) extra creaks

PROS
1) maximum cool factor
2) topless is amazing on nice days
3) chicks dig the vert!
4) love the look of the hard top
5) like the popup roll bars
5) hard top looks pimp

Plus dude, its NY :) Like VA, its cold and damp hehehe. If you were in SoCal I would say do it in a heartbeat. There is still nothing as sexy as a nice vert!

AdamR

·
Registered
836 Posts
digitalgm said:
Im not going to bash any convertible owner because I almost bought one when I got my M3 but the things that stopped me were the following :
1) a BUNCH slower than the coupe
2) extra weight
3) lost structural rigidity
4) extra creaks

PROS
1) maximum cool factor
2) topless is amazing on nice days
3) chicks dig the vert!
4) love the look of the hard top
5) like the popup roll bars
5) hard top looks pimp

Plus dude, its NY :) Like VA, its cold and damp hehehe. If you were in SoCal I would say do it in a heartbeat. There is still nothing as sexy as a nice vert!

AdamR
bro whats a whole lot quicker 4.8 to 5.1 cmon bro pull up next to me in the summer see what happens ... ill not only get more attention .... but ill have that .3 of a second to show you p.s im postiing my pics of my hardtop on my car soon....:thumbup:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Most people who buy 'verts aren't actually looking for the full performance of the vehicle in coupe design. Yes, the car is fast. Is it as fast as a coupe, no! Is it still fast, yes. I have had coupes since I have been driving. I love the feel of the open air during the summer. Unfortunately, summer doesn't last that long but I nonetheless still enjoy it. If I get the wind deflector, I can extend the top down feeling for another month or two. A convertible will attract more attention. A BMW convertible will definately attract more attention. I bought mine just for the feeling of driving a BMW convertible. Coupes are great as well. Convertibles are better in warmer areas of the country / world but that shouldn't detract anyone from purchasing what they like. I have seen a significant number of convertibles in the Poconos of PA and we have more cold weather than warm weather. I'm not stating everyone should buy a coupe or 'vert, just buy what you like and enjoy the ride. Either way, no BMW can be a bad choice (yes, even the Z4 - not too fond of the design either).

Just my .02 for what it is worth.

Have fun...

JAFO

1 - 5 of 5 Posts