BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
No need to replace the control arms themselves. But I did replace the factory bushings with spherical bearings on the Rear Trailing Arms, the Rear Lower Control Arms, the Rear Shock Mounts, and the Rear Upper Control Arms. When I lowered the car all the way down in the rear to compensate for the high roll center, I was getting binding and the rear shocks were getting lateral forces and strain on the seals. Now the rear end is really smooth and the shocks are straight on their axis. I got some bearings from TC Kline and some from Ground Control. There are only like 4 factories in the world that produce this kind of bearing so they are all very similar in quality. The ride on the street is less buffered, but the performance on the track was well worth it. All other things being equal, tire temps were more even across the tire and the rear end was smoother in transition.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i had to bring mine to the dealer for a really bad squeeking noise and they told me it was the control arm...apparently they had to replace it...i don't know much about this particular part of the car so i couldnt tell you anything about the bushings or ball joints. i have had my car for almost three years, so i guess that was sort of quick to have to get it replaced...or maybe not...but i don't know!

nespharym: the noise on my car was happening randomly when i was driving, but got to be alot louder and more frequent on any bumps or dips in the road.

·
Registered
94 Posts
On the M3, the upper control arm is a big old aluminum piece. I bent one on the track once and I'm still not sure how because of the geometry of the part. The part looks so strong it is hard to imagine how they bend.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a 2002( purchased in 01)325 xi with 12,000 miles and have had one front control arm replaced. I did not notice anything but when I had the car in for the once yearly oil and filter change the tech spoted it and changed it out. Way to go williams auto world.

·
Registered
338 Posts
pmpn8ez said:
On the M3, the upper control arm is a big old aluminum piece. I bent one on the track once and I'm still not sure how because of the geometry of the part. The part looks so strong it is hard to imagine how they bend.
I replaced the rear upper wishbone control arm looking thing on mine.... It was bent about an 1/2 out of where it was supposed to be. The dealership couldn't belive that that aluminum tray could bend without breaking etc..

·
Like school on a Sunday...
845 Posts
BMW has gone through 3 different designs for the control arms on the 3 series. If you check the Bentley service manual it illustrates all three.
As for control arm bushings, they are notoriously sh*tty on the 3 series, and as of yet there are no aftermarket ones available. It's not uncommon to replace them after 15 - 20,000 miles.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Has anyone tried the control arms or bushings from Bavarian Autosport?

http://www.bavauto.com/

I'm going to install my PSS9s soon, but I'm still looking for a good place to get bushings for our cars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts