BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know i need to get my control arm replace, but it ok to drive it for awhile? i did not even notice that my control arm was bad until i been reading all the forum and i have my friend check it and he told me i need to replace my front control arm. i had been driving for a while. and i will get it replace, soon. but it ok to drive on it thought? any idea thank

·
loves M.J.
5,193 Posts
I believe you're supposed to get them both switched out when you do ;)

I hvae to get mine done when i get home, 2000 323i
I definitely wouldn't drive it long distances, my advisor said that I shouldn't really be driving it at all.....whoops.

·
Are we there yet??
6,803 Posts
3P0rtlnd12 said:
I believe you're supposed to get them both switched out when you do ;)

I hvae to get mine done when i get home, 2000 323i
I definitely wouldn't drive it long distances, my advisor said that I shouldn't really be driving it at all.....whoops.
Its fine do drive on them unless they are completely blown out which usually doesnt happen.

I actually just changed mine last night on a 2000 323i. And yes you have to change them both at the same time.

·
loves M.J.
5,193 Posts
Staszek said:
Its fine do drive on them unless they are completely blown out which usually doesnt happen.

I actually just changed mine last night on a 2000 323i. And yes you have to change them both at the same time.
My car was acting really really weird though, I believe, I dont really remember since I haven't driven my car for 3 months :cry:, but I think mine are really messed because I don't feel comfortable driving it more than like 20 miles continuously.

It's just the 2000s thats having the problems right?? :hmm:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
acitydweller said:
how do you know when youre control arm needs replacing?
if you jack your car up and check to see if your wheel shake or not, if you wheel shake then you control arm is bad, if not then you are fine. that how i fine out.

·
Are we there yet??
6,803 Posts
It happens on all the E46's they wear out after while. And its not a problem, the control arms are designed very well, the problem is for BMW to give you that great road feel that it does it had to design them a certain way which cause more wear on them so they typically only last around 30-40k. The new ones though are larger I replaced my 60mm ones with 66mm ones.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Just a point of clarifiaction, we are talking about control arm Bushings, The whole control only needs replaced when it's bent. Also this is not a problem with only E46's but also E36. My E36 when thru bushings every 40K as well. Also have your ball joints checked if you have over 60K on the car as they tend to wear as well. It's what we pay for the great road feel and feedback associated with BMW's.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
so true... im getting a really harsh ride these days on the M3. Each minor bumper makes the cd skip.... the shocks are still in good condition so im going to investigate the other suspension parts.

·
Registered
73 Posts
is control arm bushing covered under warranty?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bobble said:
Just a point of clarifiaction, we are talking about control arm Bushings, The whole control only needs replaced when it's bent. Also this is not a problem with only E46's but also E36. My E36 when thru bushings every 40K as well. Also have your ball joints checked if you have over 60K on the car as they tend to wear as well. It's what we pay for the great road feel and feedback associated with BMW's.
hey does that mean i only need to get the control arm Bushings replace? or do i need to replace the whole control arm. the control arm is not bend.

·
Are we there yet??
6,803 Posts
alpinewhite325i said:
The bushings are covered under the regular warranty...not the maintenance warranty.
I cant see that they would be, since I would think bushings unless the had a premature complete failure would be a wear and tear item. All Wear and Tear is under the maintenance warranty.

·
Registered
57 Posts
alpinewhite325i said:
The bushings are covered under the regular warranty...not the maintenance warranty.
A friend of mine had his replaced..covered under the vehicle waranty.

I'm taking mine in the next few weeks...we'll see what they say.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts