E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was taking a left hand turn earlier today and heard/felt a pop. It sounded and felt just like running over a large rock in the road so I didnt think much of it. Well I was driving around 65 mph and had to slow for a truck that pulled out in front of me, my car pulled hard to the left and I didn't feel like I had much control. I was almost to work and it was still dark. Once it got light I looked under the left front and the hex bolt attaching the control arm to the ball joint is gone!

Has anyone ever had this happen? I just changed the control arms about 6 months ago. Will I be okay driving the car home 10 miles slowly or should I have it towed? Turning and going straight it feels fine, its just hard stops are a little dicey.

Thanks!

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
5,122 Posts
Uh, let's see....

One of the attachment points for a key suspension component is gone....

NO! It's NOT safe to drive.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Let me guess. You installed Meyle control arms and used their supplied Turkish nuts?
You've been very aggressive in threads lately. :eeps:

I've been running Meyle arms and don't exactly drive easy on the car. Haven't had any problems with them. Let's just wait on more details and go from there.

OP, how about some pics or a bit more specific about which part is missing. And what brand arms are the replacements you're using.

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
You've been very aggressive in threads lately. :eeps:

I've been running Meyle arms and don't exactly drive easy on the car. Haven't had any problems with them. Let's just wait on more details and go from there.

OP, how about some pics or a bit more specific about which part is missing. And what brand arms are the replacements you're using.
How is making a guess being aggressive? :lmao: I'm using Meyle arms too with Genuine BMW nuts torqued to spec.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Just felt like I've seen you getting mad at people lately. Maybe it's from all the cooling threads lately, lol. My mistake.

OP, so you're missing one of the 2 hex bolts from the lollipop? What kind of bushings are you using? Poly or OE? If OE, did you torque it to spec with suspension loaded?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Are you missing both bolts or just one? If just one, I (personally) would risk it. But driving with EXTREME caution.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Oh damn, I was looking at the control arm bushing. Went back and looked at your realoem link. Yea, don't drive it like that. Go get what you need and come back to your job's parking lot and fix it there, or get it towed home. But don't drive on it.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Definitely don't drive it. The control arm locates your wheel. No wheel, no control. No control. Die.
That's a tad bit... dramatic.
( You know you can still manage to control a vehicle even with one wheel totally out of commission. I have proof. )

However, OP it would be Wise to have your car towed/trucked home.
NOTE: If you do work on your vehicle (in the parking lot) make sure you use jack stands, Don't just rely on the silly little jack to support your car while you're under it.

I was taking a left hand turn earlier today and heard/felt a pop. It sounded and felt just like running over a large rock in the road so I didnt think much of it. ...
If you actually "heard/felt" that bolt pop, it may have snapped. You need to inspect it more closely to confirm there isn't a portion of the old bolt left in there.

NOTE: Those bolts are Stress Torqued, just FYI.

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
That's a tad bit... dramatic.
( You know you can still manage to control a vehicle even with one wheel totally out of commission. I have proof. )

However, OP it would be Wise to have your car towed/trucked home.
NOTE: If you do work on your vehicle (in the parking lot) make sure you use jack stands, Don't just rely on the silly little jack to support your car while you're under it.

If you actually "heard/felt" that bolt pop, it may have snapped. You need to inspect it more closely to confirm there isn't a portion of the old bolt left in there.

NOTE: Those bolts are Stress Torqued, just FYI.
It might be extreme but at speed, anything can happen. It's better to be safe than sorry.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.