BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I took my car into the shop this morning to replace my front brakes and rotors and the shop now says that my control arm bushings will need to be replaced soon. Whenever I stepped on my brakes I felt a little shaking in my steering wheel but it's not that bad. And it doesn't happen all the time...it only occurs once a while.

The shop said I'm ok for now, but if it gets worse, I'll have to replace them right away.

Does anyone know how long I can drive without replacing them?

It's gonna be another $400 repair.

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,767 Posts
wait for aftermarket Poly bushings to come out. I think you should be OK until then.

Tim

·
Registered
764 Posts
Tim, I already had mine replaced about a year ago. Would you know if the replacement is of the same quality or has BMW improved the newer ones? TIA

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,767 Posts
The BMW bushings still suck...someone on bimmerfest had them replaced after 5K miles, hence my suggestion to wait for aftermarket poly bushings that will last.

Tim

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got almost 97K miles on my 323i and this is the 1st time I've ever had to replace the control arm bushings.

I was planning to start getting mods for my car once I got my brakes replaced, but now I'll have to put that on hold because of the control arm bushings.

Man, it seems like everytime I save up money for some mods for my car, something else comes up where I have to fix and it sets me back a few months. DAMN!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got a call from the shop and my car is already done. The shop said it could be a while before i really have to get the control arm bushings replaced.

They said if the vibration gets worse, then I should get it replaced, but if it doesn't happen all the time, I should be fine for a while.

Maybe now I can get some mods!! :thumbup:

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,767 Posts
teamdfl said:

How do they fit the hex shaped end of the control arm into the round bore of the spherical bearing, a hammer?

Ed
:lmao: :lmao: I was wondering the same thing but was too lazy to ask.

Mpower619 do you have pictures of them installed on your car?

Tim

·
moderation in all things
908 Posts
tim330i said:
The BMW bushings still suck...someone on bimmerfest had them replaced after 5K miles, hence my suggestion to wait for aftermarket poly bushings that will last.

Tim
hey tim, do u know of when and who will sell these poly bushings?

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
think mine are worn out...starting to notice a slight vibration when lightly braking just this past weekend...if it is my bushings they sure dont last very long, junk:thumbdwn:

anyone have any of the forementioned aftermarket bushings installed?

BTW: is there a TSB for this?

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,767 Posts
John from jersey said:
think mine are worn out...starting to notice a slight vibration when lightly braking just this past weekend...if it is my bushings they sure dont last very long, junk:thumbdwn:

anyone have any of the forementioned aftermarket bushings installed?

BTW: is there a TSB for this?
John,

Get the GC combo bearing/poly ones.

Tim

·
Bahn Burnah
2,424 Posts
Hi guys, when I had my bushings replaced at the dealer, my service guy Mark Brown at Hank Aaron BMW (Atl) told me he put the bushings from the M3 on. He said they were made from aluminum. I haven't had any problems since, It's about 80k miles or so. He can be emailed at [email protected] if you want to ask him about it.

·
Slow in, slower out
4,661 Posts
dbtheo said:
Hi guys, when I had my bushings replaced at the dealer, my service guy Mark Brown at Hank Aaron BMW (Atl) told me he put the bushings from the M3 on. He said they were made from aluminum. I haven't had any problems since, It's about 80k miles or so. He can be emailed at [email protected] if you want to ask him about it.
The M3 bushings are NOT made of aluminum. They consist of rubber set in a steel sleeve, just like the non-M parts. The M3 bushings have more rubber. Also, the M3 bushing has a larger hex hole to match the larger hex at the end of the control arm. The M3 bushing sleeve is a different diameter so it will not fit the non-M bushing bracket (annoyingly referred to as the "lollipop" in E30s and E36s).

It is probably possible to use M3 control arms, bushings, and bushing brackets in a non-M car. I cannot confirm the fact that the M3 arms are longer resulting in more negative camber in non-M cars.

Ed

1 - 19 of 19 Posts