BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pushing my new CABs on my new CA's and I didn't use enough soap in my soapy water mix for the first bushing. I got it on but it's about 1/16"-1/8" out of place (not pressed quite far enough on the arm). The arm still bolts into place on the car. I'm not positive, but I think the inner ball joint is at a bit greater of an angle than it normally would be.

The second arm I had learned my lesson and used more soap.

Should I replace the CAB? It would cost another $70 for the new CAB and leave my car out of service for another weekend.

Keep in mind this is an XI with different CA/CAB's than a RWD car:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Take it to an autoparts store and have them push it the rest of the way in

·
Registered
28,427 Posts
Just bolt it on. If you have enough soap/water on it, the natural tightening of the bracket to the car will be enough to slide the bushing in its proper orientation. It doesn't take much effort to slide it on the arm at all. An E36 M3 is a different story... very different.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just bolt it on. If you have enough soap/water on it, the natural tightening of the bracket to the car will be enough to slide the bushing in its proper orientation. It doesn't take much effort to slide it on the arm at all. An E36 M3 is a different story... very different.
well any soapy water that there once was has probably dried up by now. I think im going to take the part to my local mechanic and have him press it on the last bit.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Remember to tighten them when the car is on all fours otherwise you will have preload

·
Registered
28,427 Posts
Remember to tighten them when the car is on all fours otherwise you will have preload
This is not the case for E46 model cars. Only for E36. No preload necessary, nor is possible. The bushings slide over the control arm in a special hex shape. As long as the bushing is lined up properly in the bracket to begin with (which it will be if you bought it pre-pressed), you will be fine.

And OP yes the soap/water dries. You mean the bushing is off the control arm now or you are taking the entire control arm to your mechanic? If the bushing is stuck on, just pull it off and add more. You don't need a mechanic for this. Just do it. If the bushing is currently off, just lube up the arm and bushing and give it a good whack/tap with a rubber mallet.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I was pushing my new CABs on my new CA's and I didn't use enough soap in my soapy water mix for the first bushing. I got it on but it's about 1/16"-1/8" out of place (not pressed quite far enough on the arm). The arm still bolts into place on the car. I'm not positive, but I think the inner ball joint is at a bit greater of an angle than it normally would be.

The second arm I had learned my lesson and used more soap.

Should I replace the CAB? It would cost another $70 for the new CAB and leave my car out of service for another weekend.

Keep in mind this is an XI with different CA/CAB's than a RWD car:
I've got the xi. How long did take you. Was it PITA?
Any thoughts or DIY would be help full.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts