BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

This thing with the OT is bothering me. We need to have consistency on everyone's part here.

You guys say that you miss the old days when people just ****ed around on the forum, the good morning threads, etc. but then when people do that on the OT you get pissed off.

While it may not seem like it to you that is the same stuff that use to be posted. Some of the stuff is a little stupid but I am sure I could go back in the archives and dig up equally stupid stuff from OGs that everyone liked then.

It is the same stuff that people here have posted in the past (Dave you know, you got called on it). The member base is not stupid, they see the contradictions and get pissed off.

I agree that some of the people that we banned we are much better off without but there are good people that have left as well.

Just something to think about before everyone goes on a tirade about how the OT sucks.

Tim

·
2,393 Posts
I wrote a post on GT about the evolution - basically the site grows to be so big that previously acceptable stupidity becomes a nuisance. At this point, we need to start regulating content to ensure that what is there on the front page is useful/intelligent/entertaining.

My preferred solution is to restrict OT - smaller population, more community again, slacker rules, good times. We don't need these newbie SoCal kids who sign up just to **** around on OT with their friends. Our sponsors don't gain anything from them, they don't read general, they don't shop for mods, they don't even have cars in many cases. We as a community don't gain anything from them either. let them pollute GT and drive up their server bills. We'll be content with a population of OGs and select new guys who are cool and bring value.

Actually, the best of both worlds could be that we keep this OT, grant mod status to some newer but trustworthy guys, and have another forum with that select group of a hundred or so, and when needed promote new members. This keeps enrollment up, lets anything fly on the big OT so there's no complaining and loss of members, still has moderation to remove especially offensive stuff, and we have quality content in the restricted area.

We need to have a full discussion of this instead of partial like we normally have - come up with a solution that makes this a better place, regardless of whether we look like jerks. If we can do both, then even better.

·
The G.O.A.T. is Baccckkkkk!
4,269 Posts
It will never be the old days again Tim.... hell we ain't done good morning **** or generally playful shiet with one another in years. That came from relationships ( most of us hung out or had met ) that were formed and at the time we had ZERO tolerance for bull****... no trolls, no cursing you name it. We spooked every OG lady out of here with the bs that goes on. Hell you guys know me i love to bust balls, play around, t&a pics are totally my style but there's no place 4 it on a car board and the stuff that goes on in OT anymore is a joke....bottomline

·
OG Moderator Extraordinaire
6,280 Posts
Dave said:
I wrote a post on GT about the evolution - basically the site grows to be so big that previously acceptable stupidity becomes a nuisance. At this point, we need to start regulating content to ensure that what is there on the front page is useful/intelligent/entertaining.

My preferred solution is to restrict OT - smaller population, more community again, slacker rules, good times. We don't need these newbie SoCal kids who sign up just to **** around on OT with their friends. Our sponsors don't gain anything from them, they don't read general, they don't shop for mods, they don't even have cars in many cases. We as a community don't gain anything from them either. let them pollute GT and drive up their server bills. We'll be content with a population of OGs and select new guys who are cool and bring value.

Actually, the best of both worlds could be that we keep this OT, grant mod status to some newer but trustworthy guys, and have another forum with that select group of a hundred or so, and when needed promote new members. This keeps enrollment up, lets anything fly on the big OT so there's no complaining and loss of members, still has moderation to remove especially offensive stuff, and we have quality content in the restricted area.

We need to have a full discussion of this instead of partial like we normally have - come up with a solution that makes this a better place, regardless of whether we look like jerks. If we can do both, then even better.

While I agree with a lot of what you've said, and in principle... I'm just not sure this would work. Remember what happened on DTM when they had the invite-only board?

·
2,393 Posts
nope. guess I wasn't invited.

I like the Tucker Max board where only certain members had permissions to start a thread. The mods and senior members starta few threads a day and they get a lot of replies, solid discussion. With just as many members as this place has, it really only has 10-15 active threads at a time...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts