E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Eurowerkz Co-Founder
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay here's my situation...
I'm 18, and my dad bought me my car... ive had it since i was 16, ive got 32000 miles on it, we took deliver on June 8th, 2001, my warranty will be up in 18k miles, and

in the next few months my dad is going to change the car into my name... at that time the insurance needs to go in my name and i need to pay for all repairs. Ive paid for my insurance before but i wasnt the primary driver, etc... i dont think i will be able to afford all my repairs, etc once the warranty is up, and i want to sell the car before it really depreciates.

I cant stand my steptronic tranny, driving people around, and i have really wanted a convertible for a while. and i considered moving up to an m3 but theres no way i could afford it, or the insurance... and theres no mods left for me to do...

There arent any other cars i really like other than the 350z roadster. Its fast, affordable, easy to mod, etc... and it comes with a 5 year/60000 warranty...

i think it would be very practical for me to move over to the Z... however its not a bmw nor is it even german... i dont kno whether im comfy with that or not... i really need to see the roadster in person to make a final decision... i also would need to drive it...

Can anyone help me decide whether im thinking logically, etc? Any input would be extremely helpful... Thanks,

-Robby

·
Oaf
893 Posts
Actually, based on what you say your needs are, the 350z sounds perfect for you. So many people have said that on the street or otherwise, the Z doesn't give up anything to the E46 in fun factor.

The only big decision you need to make is whether you can live without the 'niceness' of the BMW (especially in the interior), because the Z car is a big step down in luxury appointments. Also, it's just me, but the inline 6 is just the sweetest engine ever and I would hate not to feel/hear it anymore...

·
Registered
121 Posts
I also considered getting a 350z but two things dissuaded me: First, the 350 will depreciate much faster than a Bimmer (unless pops is paying for it, then it doesn't matter). Secondly, would you rather be in a head-on with an suv in the Z or a BMW? The front end of the Z would act as a ramp, bringing the front wheels of the suv right onto your head. That's bad times!:thumbdwn:

·
Registered
502 Posts
The Z is nice but personally I would take a G35 coupe or an S2000 over that car...I liked that car for like a week and then everyone and their mother bought one.....S2000 is limited production and sweet as hell:D:D

·
Eurowerkz Co-Founder
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i dunno... coughing up the bmw nameplate is a biggie for me... i dunno if i can handle that... im glad the z wont be out for a while so i have time to decide

·
Eurowerkz Co-Founder
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol yeah... in the first week id plan to have system, ps2, kit and rims... i REALLY want the volk racing rims that tom has... these... theyre like 17lb per rim

·
Registered
443 Posts
no it doesnt sound crazy at all and i think for now uve pretty much figured it out, u just gotta wait to see and drive it in person. someone mentioned the s2000 which would also be a good choice and if you really dont want to strat away from bmw you could always go for the z4, still a bimmer, its a convertible and you dont have to drive people around plus u can get it in stick...i dunno bout the insurance price for that tho

·
ti-m-e
1,833 Posts
ok repair cost...bmw's might be pretty high on repair cost but do you think it'll be that much cheaper on a Z? on top of that depreciation and insurance on the Z would be more, and finally when and if you trade your 330 you'll still lose money even with the low depreciation of bmw's..you always lose on trades...and at the moment privately selling a used car is practically impossible just take a look at some of member trying to get rid of their car, some guy here has been at it for the past couple months

in other words

keep the bmw :D

·
Read Only
1,811 Posts
I can't see how switching to a 350z will reduce your overall upkeep costs... your 330 is 2 years old, so insurance rates should be starting to fall... and since the 350z is classified as a sports car, you're gonna be paying a whole lot more for insurance. Oh yeah... I have step too, and it's a lifesaver in LA, because I don't have to keep shifting on the 405... I just keep it in drive instead of neutral --> 1st --> neutral--> 1st --> (maybe second but most likely neutral) --> repeat every 5 seconds.

·
Loves cookies
1,531 Posts
Stay with bmw!

Look buddy on the insurance issue the guys are right, a convertible car with a 6spd trans. will likely cost more to insurance than your bimmer. Second the Z has a really crappy interior the only thing it has going for it is its handling. The engine is good not great as(a 5spd 330ci can hang withit) the inline 6 is a more refined engine and more solid. And then there is the safety issue, i believe on the z head and side airbags are extra as is the stability control known to us as DSC. Plus since the Z is a cheaper car in another year or so it will be completely played out. I say stick with the bimmer its more realible and a 3yr old bimmer will be cheaper to insure than a brand new 6spd convertible.:thumbup: Also the Z has no trunk due to its rear strut bar which takes up most of the room, imagine in the convertible. Go with a G35 or the new accord coupe V6 of course.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I agree that the 350Z convertible would be a lot more to keep up. Insurance will classify it as a 2-door, two-seat convertible sports car, so that will definately go up. Maintenance will probably be just as much as your BMW.

If you've had your BMW for 2 years now with no problems, why go with a model that just came out? I bet there are still a few kinks to be worked out of the 350Z.

I don't know how much you are planning to spend, but if you really want to get a convertible sports car, there are a few I can think of:
C5 Corvette or Corvette Z06
BMW Z4
Audi TT
Mustang Cobra convertible
S2000
Lexus SC430
Mazda Miata
Toyota MR2 Spyder
1995-96 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 Spyder - I had one and it was fast, fun and had an -automatic hardtop convertible-. 320HP, 315TQ, twin-turbos, AWD, all wheel steering. Only about 850 made, so the rare factor is going to come in down the road. The only problem is that the tranny can be/is troublesome. Visit www.3si.org. for more info. You can probably get one with low miles for a bit under $30,000.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.