BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife murdered her Touareg a bit and wants something with a third row. I'm liking the idea of a second generation X5, which I can pick up with the payoff from her car and a little cash.

My e46 is one of my favorite cars to work on, I'm hoping the experience with the X5 will be similar.

I'm eyeballing X5s with the 4.8, third row seat and preferably something with sport seats (still learning packages) with automatic trans for the wife.
Xdrive is a requirement, we have to have AWD/4wd where we live.

Thoughts, suggestions?

·
Registered
978 Posts
to each his own, but the only post '06 BMW I would buy is a car under warranty with the possible exception of diesel. The post '06 cars are harder to work on for even the experienced DIY'er. With BMW doing little maintenance during the initial 3 yr ownership (lease) period and the stated goal to goose the cost of service and parts ( I am paraphrasing), the odds are stacked against long-term affordable DIY-ownership.

Further, while they are much better, the quality of US production (Like X5) has often not matched that of the German-made cars. I would also suggest the BMW V8's have also not had the best success.

Since 2nd gen X5's (E70) are, I believe, mostly out of warranty. I would only consider the diesel.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah, I was not impressed by a low mile diesel X5 I found. I'm off to look at a 2003 Toyota Sequoia with 130k on it later. So far it looks very clean...

After researching the V8, I decided to avoid them as well. The coolant pipe issue is surprisingly stupid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would buy is a car under warranty with the possible exception of diesel. The post '06 cars are harder to work on for even the experienced DIY'er. With BMW doing little maintenance kodi.link; during the initial 3 yr ownership (lease) period and the stated goal to goose the cost of service and parts ( I am paraphrasing), the odds are stacked against long-term affordable DIY-ownership. _sl_ _sl_

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up finding a Lexus GX470 for the wife.
The third row seat can fit three (tightly), and it folds up to the sides.
Options are nice, only annoyance is the integrated AC/Nav design makes it a pain to replace.
The 4.7 v8 engine is considered one of the most reliable ever made by Toyota, wear indicators in oil analysis are exceptionally low.
Suspension is basically a 4th gen 4runner, KDSS is an option and it handles nicely in the mountains.
All wheel drive, with transfercase lock, etc.
Maintenance on it will be a timing belt/water pump job soon and I'll refresh the radiator while I'm in there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts