E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I currently have a 2001 325CI with a dead engine, I am going to replace the engine with a 330 Saloon - Vert

I already have the donor car (330 Vert ) and the job is being started on Tuesday,

I have done lots of research and i cant forsee any major problems, My question is...

Does anyone know of any issues that i should make the guys aware of to make the job a little easier?

It seem to me lots of people have spoke about doing the swap, Or started a thread on doing it, then nothing.

Im just a little nervous to say the least

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Just swap everything over and get your DME reprogrammed (I can do that for you if you'd like). Shouldn't be any more difficult than swapping another 325 engine.

For year to year differences..
If it comes out of an xi you'll need to swap oil pans, and there are some minor differences based on year. 2003+ engines use different coils; swap the valve covers and use your stock coils. 2003+ engines use 4-rib pulleys with the AC belt -- just use a 4 rib belt; works fine. 2003.5+ mon-XI motors are MS45 and have the IAT sensor integrated in the MAF; get a 330 3-pin MAF and swap the IAT sensor from your original engine

·
Registered
55 Posts
Whats 51 325?:hmm:

Best is to swap the engines that uses same DME. Programming DME is easy task ( provided you are willing to spend time to learn how it works) and if Terra is up to help you you should be fine!

know the parts that you may want to "change while you are there". GL:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just swap everything over and get your DME reprogrammed (I can do that for you if you'd like). Shouldn't be any more difficult than swapping another 325 engine.

For year to year differences..
If it comes out of an xi you'll need to swap oil pans, and there are some minor differences based on year. 2003+ engines use different coils; swap the valve covers and use your stock coils. 2003+ engines use 4-rib pulleys with the AC belt -- just use a 4 rib belt; works fine. 2003.5+ mon-XI motors are MS45 and have the IAT sensor integrated in the MAF; get a 330 3-pin MAF and swap the IAT sensor from your original engine
Thanks mate, Lets hope its as easy as that :thumbup: Its a 2001 model so shouldnt need to worry about the above, apart from the oil pan...?

I wish you could reprogram my DME but i think your to far away :D

I have a M3 Quad exhaust on the car do you know if i will need to use the 330 Headers?

Thanks for your help mate

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whats 51 325?:hmm:

Best is to swap the engines that uses same DME. Programming DME is easy task ( provided you are willing to spend time to learn how it works) and if Terra is up to help you you should be fine!

know the parts that you may want to "change while you are there". GL:thumbup:
How do i know if thy both use the same DME? What do you advise to change while the are doing the swap?

Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
How do i know if thy both use the same DME? What do you advise to change while the are doing the swap?

Thanks

Mainly i would say change the rear main-seal, valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, CCV, also change shifter linkage parts, clutch(and all other related parts) & flywheel if yours is manual and they are due to be changed. clean the throttle body & IDV fully, clean all the electric connector(some recommend not to un-clip the connectors as they tend not hold back tightly when you put back,# just mentioning before some fruit asks me not give advice on a public forum), check disa flap. That's all I think you may require. and clean the engine before you put it in if you care about how it looked under the hood.

if the engine is from a car that's before 03/2003 it should have same DME as yours. I can tell you step by step how I used winkfp to Program the DME when I did the swap. but If you can find an indy shop its a 1/2 hr job. GL :thumbup:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I started the car before the dme had the correct software, it started right away and idle was ok for 1st few secs, then the throttle body got mad and started making banging noise and cat was red hot.. I guess may be if I left the car idle the dme would have adapted. but I was worried about the throttle body and the cats so went ahead with a software flash.

After the flash the car worked perfect

Sent from my HTC One using BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I started the car before the dme had the correct software, it started right away and idle was ok for 1st few secs, then the throttle body got mad and started making banging noise and cat was red hot.. I guess may be if I left the car idle the dme would have adapted. but I was worried about the throttle body and the cats so went ahead with a software flash.

Okay, i was just wondering if it was safe to drive to get the remap/flash done.

Did you notice a big power increase? did you use 330 headers?

cheers

·
Registered
55 Posts
Okay, i was just wondering if it was safe to drive to get the remap/flash done.

Did you notice a big power increase? did you use 330 headers?

cheers
I am not sure if it will be drive-able without a flash, regarding power increase its a lot of difference tht just outright you will feel the extra power and you will love it. what diff ratio do you have? 3.15?

I used my old 325 headers as the whole exhaust system is same on both the cars except for the end muffler difference in 330/zhp model. Even with the old headers and exhaust I feel the exhaust note on my current zhp engine is more throatier. :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Hi xps, that's the engine all in but as you said it's doesn't run great! I can't seem to find anyone to flash my Ecu, everyone just says its only bmw that can do this, any ideas?

Cheers

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi xps, that's the engine all in but as you said it's doesn't run great! I can't seem to find anyone to flash my Ecu, everyone just says its only bmw that can do this, any ideas?

Cheers

It will be hard to explain it to a bmw dealership, they would say they want to install the software according to VIN and $h!t :facepalm:, but you may talk to them and insist you know the software no. and it can be done.

or

Get ready and do the install by yourself,

1st you need the CABLE ,a battery charger that can supply steady voltage >13.5, a laptop running XP(or using virtualbox setup XP on your newer version windows)

·
Banned
7,267 Posts
Lol thanks hakenTT but now I'm really confused, it does run with my 325 Ecu but isn't great, surely I need the software to benifit from the extra power etc

Thanks

You need a tune for your new M54B30 engine. Nothing will "adapt"........ the internal components between the 2 engines, the vanos, the intake, and even the compression is all different. The computer needs to know all this.

You can flash the new tune you need, on your old 325 ECU.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hey OP,

Ive done this swap myself and its simple.

Since your going from DBW to DBW and both DME are ms43 the answers is. (myn was 323 so needed a few more bits, DBW pedal box and about 6 wires running through to dme, but even that was easy)

1. Your either flash your DME yourself using either winkfp, sss or ISTA/P. I wouldnt recommend ISTA/P just yet.
The way to flash them is based on hardware numbers which you can identify using inpa software. It all sounds really daunting but actually a monkey could do it.

2. The easier option since you have the donor car and probably dont know 2 much about the software ATM, remove the DME, EWS, Door Lock, Boot Lock and Ignition Lock (put key in position 1, insert pin into small hold in ignition next to key and it pops right out, 1 second job) from the 330 and put it in your 325. The software maps on ALL THE DME are very different, only an absolute moron would swap a 3L into a 2.5 and leave the 2.5 DME software running. Like i said flashing it is basic. There is plenty of info about it out there or ask Terra, that guy basically knows everything.

Hey Terra, ive read allot of your stuff in my own research, your a champion ;)

I have a stack of software along with my own bulletproof servers. I really feel like hosting it for public direct download. ista p and d, icom emu, every version of ediabas, 3 DIS, all progmons, ews editor etc etc.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.