E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've been trying to find out why. I noticed some E46 is fitted aircond condenser fan with and some without the fan.

I can't seem to find the answer why. Can anyone tell me?

·
the people’s mod
2004 330Ci 115k miles
15,542 Posts
Auto trans models have the pusher fan in front of the radiator.
Manual trans models have the puller fan behind the radiator.
Look them both up on realoem.com to confirm.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Auto trans has mechanical fan and electric auxiliary fan.
Manual trans has a single electric (puller) fan in place of auto trans mechanical fan.

Repeated info
(Bali posted faster)

Sent from my iPad using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's weird. So here's the thing.... I've noticed my buddy's car which is an automatic. It does not have the pusher fan in front. Same goes to some with an auto. Again some have it and some don't. So confusing.

·
the people’s mod
2004 330Ci 115k miles
15,542 Posts
That's weird. So here's the thing.... I've noticed my buddy's car which is an automatic. It does not have the pusher fan in front. Same goes to some with an auto. Again some have it and some don't. So confusing.
Many who have AT cars have removed the mechanical fan/clutch and pusher electric fan, and then installed just the puller electric fan for MT cars.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
5,548 Posts
Here's the whole story:

Both the manual and automatic have electric fans. The manual has a puller fan behind the radiator. The automatic an "auxillary fan" ( important distinction BTW) with a mechanical fan and a fan clutch attached to the water pump.

The reason the automatic cars have two is because of the extra thermal loading. The transmission oil is sent to the intercooler at the bottom of the radiator and BMW wanted the extra margin because of the increased work placed upon the cooling system.

The electric fans, be it Aux or puller are the same motor (I'm told) however the puller design is in a different housing. Pulling air has a better cooling capability than pushing when it comes to radiators.

Many remove the fan clutch and go with the electric one and/or swap to the puller design.
Some notice no difference. Albeit I wonder if they're monitoring Atf temperatures and not just coolant?
Me...... I like the fan and fan clutch if the car came that way. I'm a huge fan of redundancy when it comes to cooling systems.
Like insurance, you never know how good it is until you need it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the whole story:

Both the manual and automatic have electric fans. The manual has a puller fan behind the radiator. The automatic an "auxillary fan" ( important distinction BTW) with a mechanical fan and a fan clutch attached to the water pump.

The reason the automatic cars have two is because of the extra thermal loading. The transmission oil is sent to the intercooler at the bottom of the radiator and BMW wanted the extra margin because of the increased work placed upon the cooling system.

The electric fans, be it Aux or puller are the same motor (I'm told) however the puller design is in a different housing. Pulling air has a better cooling capability than pushing when it comes to radiators.

Many remove the fan clutch and go with the electric one and/or swap to the puller design.
Some notice no difference. Albeit I wonder if they're monitoring Atf temperatures and not just coolant?
Me...... I like the fan and fan clutch if the car came that way. I'm a huge fan of redundancy when it comes to cooling systems.
Like insurance, you never know how good it is until you need it.

I agree with the ATF temps. I rather have it lower even at stock. But why would ppl do that by removing the fan?

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
5,548 Posts
If you're referring to the engine driven fan, it's because it pulls more CFM than the electric.

Some doubt such. I point out how the E46 M3 is laid out. One of the biggest and most aggressively pitched mechanical fans BMW ever made.

So with the extra heat of the ATF, a mechanical fan was added. Removing removes that layer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts