E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,526 Posts
That’s 122 degrees Fahrenheit. I’ve been to Spain many times and I don’t think it gets that hot in April. It sounds like the ambient air temperature sensor is bad. It’s item #1 in the link. It’s located in the space between the left front wheel and the front bumper. Disconnect it and report back the indicated temperature.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My front bumper got stolen and they cut all the wiring. Nice I know. Anyway, temp read 50degrees because the circuit was open due to the cut cables. Had to get the wiring from a scrap car and solder in, worked fine again.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
The wires are shorted.

when the thing gets completely torn off, it drops to -40f, or something like that.

Mine was so torn off when I got the car, I had to open the harness
up about 6" to find the ends of the wires.

t

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
TobyB is correct. A high temp 50C (122F) is when the two ambient temp wires are shorted together. When the sensor is gone and the wires are open circuit and not touching ground it will read -40C (40F). If you find that the wires are not short circuited then the problem is probably a bad cluster. I have seen this problem a couple times.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

1 - 8 of 8 Posts