E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently I have herd my PS whining/straining just a little when Im turning the wheel while standing still. Nothing real loud it was just a small sign of it being low.

Well last night I had been driving for about 5 mins or so and I go to turn out of a gas station and I had to turn the wheel all the way to the right locking position to turn as I it straights up I had to turn it slightly to the left and it was stiff as hell. Like I had no PS at all. So the first thing I look at is my temp gauge to see if it gonna bolt to the hot side or not. I cont drive to where me and a few friends were going and no lights come on, temp needle doesnt move, nothing.

I get to the parking lot and I turn the car off and check my fluid. Its at the first line on the bottom, after driving for about 20mins or so.

I may have a slow leak, idk but where are some common place that like to leak? At the resevoir im guessing, but anywhere else? Also, although this is unlikely and hopefully its just cause it low on ATF but what are the odds that the pump just died? cause Im not hearing any whinig/straning noise at all.

Thanks alot, Hopefully it just needs some fluid. Imma pick some up today at lunch time.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
the connectors on low pressure hoses near the PS fluid cooler often become leaky. also the two hoses under the reservoir leaks too due to age.
the reservoir has a built in filter an can get clogged over time making the pump work harder to push fluid through.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gotcha thanks alot. Guess Ill need to get underneath and check out my pan to see if theres any residue on there. With only 62k miles I would think the pump and what not is still pretty healty. resevoir prolly needs to be replaced, and prolly some new fluid. And that to the list(shits getting long lol)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just developed a leak last weekend, it was the fitting on the bottom of the pump, about 2 turns loose. Tightened it up, all was well. Took 2 minutes to pull the undertray, one minute to tighten, another 2 to button it back up.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
well, I put some more fluid in there, brought it to the second line and........nothin. Still stiff, but I did notice its trying to lossen up. it did it last night after I cont. to drive it. So if the pump isnt dead yet....its dying. Cause there in no noise at all. Like the pump isnt even turning. But all belts are good.

The guy at the parts store said possible that the rack-n-pinion is gone out.....but for only 62k miles i highly doubt thaat , plus I havent seen my BMW much less E46s have there rack-n-pinion go out. if so there all very high millage cars

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After doing some reading, Im not sure if I should just do the pump or reservoir with a few lines and see if it fixes it. I know if I do the pump and it fixes it then I good to go. But then there the issue that the hoses are getting old and I dont want to mess up a prefectly good pump to quickly

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had a creak in my steering so I went and changed out the 2 main hoses and reservoir a few weeks ago...the noise is still present so I'm guessing my pump would be next on the list.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check out my leaks thread in my sig.
lookin at it now thanks

I had a creak in my steering so I went and changed out the 2 main hoses and reservoir a few weeks ago...the noise is still present so I'm guessing my pump would be next on the list.
yeah Im prolyl just gonna change the pump and the resevoir. Ill do the hose soon after just so I know that everything was changed relativly around the same time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts