E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?
4,156 Posts
umnitza said:
it's an important lesson:)
Question here.... If that is the case shouldnt my 6000k Headlight HIDs and my 6000k Fogs HIDs be the same color output??? I know the housing is different but should that effect the color output between the too? I know Matt had answer this but I still dont know why they look different in color. Maybe its just my eyes :dunno: If anyone else have done the same setup as me, I would like to know how yours look.

TIA,
Charlie

·
Banned
3,759 Posts
I have OEM xenon housing with phillips 6000k bulbs and xtec 6000k hid kit in my fogs. The color output seems little different too. Some say that it is the brand of the bulbs.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yellowmann said:
Question here.... If that is the case shouldnt my 6000k Headlight HIDs and my 6000k Fogs HIDs be the same color output??? I know the housing is different but should that effect the color output between the too? I know Matt had answer this but I still dont know why they look different in color. Maybe its just my eyes :dunno: If anyone else have done the same setup as me, I would like to know how yours look.

TIA,
Charlie
Charlie....

Do your HID's or your headlights look bluer???
I'm getting a set of the xenon fogs from Umnitza or Jlevi soon (6000k) and I have 7000k's currently in my headlights.

·
Registered
17,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yellowmann said:

TIA,
Charlie
NO, this is less to do with the output of the bulbs than it has to do with the housing that they are in.

·
Banned
475 Posts
Cali6869 said:
Matt, can you explain a lil about the chart? What is it? how the color temps would look in indoors and outdoors? Sorry dont know much about lights

Charlie,

What he's trying to say that is the type of reflector/lens on the fog light housing will dramatically effect the color you see. It's not effecting the "color" of the light, but the color that you see due to refraction. Technically all 6,000k bulbs will emit a range of 6,000k lumen light, but the lens and housing type changes the way certain colors reflect back to the human eye. It is for this reason that it's so hard to get a nice set of matching lows/fogs. Fogs like yours are not "projectors" whereas the low beams are. There's no cut off on the fogs like there are on the low beams...

for instance if I did not tell you, you would think that my low beams are HID, when infact they are regular bulbs. It's all about the housing and reflector/projector. The chart matt posted is hard to use because you guys are thinking that your 6,000k lights will look like an cloudy day lol. It's not that, its that the clouds filtering sunlight leave that color of light coming down on the earth, not that you can tell because you don't have a light refracting crystal to seperate colors... but that's the theory. Compare the background to my headlight. Notice there are no "warm" tones any where.

·
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?
4,156 Posts
TeKNiC330 said:
I have OEM xenon housing with phillips 6000k bulbs and xtec 6000k hid kit in my fogs. The color output seems little different too. Some say that it is the brand of the bulbs.
Well I have the same brand Xtec 6000k for both from Umnitza.

skeemr4 said:
Charlie....

Do your HID's or your headlights look bluer???
I'm getting a set of the xenon fogs from Umnitza or Jlevi soon (6000k) and I have 7000k's currently in my headlights.
My headlight are more bluer then my fogs....

UrineMachine said:
Charlie,

What he's trying to say that is the type of reflector/lens on the fog light housing will dramatically effect the color you see. It's not effecting the "color" of the light, but the color that you see do to refraction. Technically all 6,000k bulbs will emit a range of 6,000k lumen light, but the lens and housing type changes the way certain colors reflect back to the human eye. It is for this reason that it's so hard to get a nice set of matching lows/fogs. Fogs like yours are not "projectors" whereas the low beams are. There's no cut off on the fogs like there are on the low beams...

for instance if I did not tell you, you would think that my low beams are HID, when infact they are regular bulbs. It's all about the housing and reflector/projector. The chart matt posted is hard to use because you guys are thinking that your 6,000k lights will look like an cloudy day lol. It's not that, its that the clouds filtering sunlight leave that color of light coming down on the earth, not that you can tell because you don't have a light refracting crystal to seperate colors... but that's the theory. Compare the background to my headlight. Notice there are no "warm" tones any where.

Jon, Thanks for explaining. I'm just slow :banghead:

Here are some pics I just took.

Umnitza 6000k lows

Umnitza 6000k fogs

Umnitza Project e46 HIDs 6000k & HIDs 6000k fogs

·
Registered
211 Posts
umnitza said:
NO, this is less to do with the output of the bulbs than it has to do with the housing that they are in.
Please explain "Mr.HID Expert" :rolleyes:
I'd like to know why the colour of the light produced in an ellipsoidal reflector projection optical system appears different than it does in a freeform reflector optical system if both systems utilize a light source of the same temperature rating.

·
Banned
475 Posts
smg-steve said:
Please explain "Mr.HID Expert" :rolleyes:
I'd like to know why the colour of the light produced in an ellipsoidal reflector projection optical system appears different than it does in a freeform reflector optical system if both systems utilize a light source of the same temperature rating.
think of a projector as a reverse magnifying glass (over simplified). it takes a broad light, such as a bulb, and REFRACTS the light to where it needs to be. Most light that is used for driving is not of the blue spectrum, so there is no need to distribute that colour of light into the visible projection field of a projector. Thus, you have a cut off pattern that caters to the blues. Notice when you see HID flicker from oem projectors its like Purple/White flashes. The non-projection housings don't have refraction-based cut off patterns. A non-projector housing is actually just a whole bunch of shiny reflective plastic (in most cases) so rather than shooting light through a shaping/cut-off lens, it bounces it around in a shiny bucket until the light escapes out the front. thus, the whole output of the light is "projected" with a reflector housing whereas a projector is designed to refract useable light in a focused area... and the outskirts of the focus area are the blue/purple you see on the X5 / Audi / Etc.

·
Registered
211 Posts
That is not, according to your title: "Color Scale for HID, DDE, Turn Signals, Tail Lights, Interior"
In any study of colour, a system defined by the Commision Internationale de L'Eclairage (CIE) chromaticity chart should be used. This chart has formed the foundation of the present system for numerical colour notation as depicted here:

The chart that umnitza claims to be a "Color Scale for HID, DDE, Turn Signals, Tail Lights, Interior" is more or less his attempt to try and impress everyone with his ability to link a picture without explaination and provide information that will confuse anyone not familiar with the basis of light and colour temperature.
For those who would really like to know more about the subject of light and colour temperature, check out this site for a reliable explaination:
http://www.squ1.com/index.php?http://www.squ1.com/concepts/color-temperature.html

·
Registered
211 Posts
UrineMachine said:
think of a projector as a reverse magnifying glass (over simplified). it takes a broad light, such as a bulb, and REFRACTS the light to where it needs to be. Most light that is used for driving is not of the blue spectrum, so there is no need to distribute that colour of light into the visible projection field of a projector. Thus, you have a cut off pattern that caters to the blues. Notice when you see HID flicker from oem projectors its like Purple/White flashes. The non-projection housings don't have refraction-based cut off patterns. A non-projector housing is actually just a whole bunch of shiny reflective plastic (in most cases) so rather than shooting light through a shaping/cut-off lens, it bounces it around in a shiny bucket until the light escapes out the front. thus, the whole output of the light is "projected" with a reflector housing whereas a projector is designed to refract useable light in a focused area... and the outskirts of the focus area are the blue/purple you see on the X5 / Audi / Etc.
There's more to it than that. I would like to hear what Mr.HID expert has to say.

·
Registered
17,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
.nm, not worth wasting a post.

actually it is.

Having had professors JUST like you in the past, I know that APPLICATION and THEORY are totally different concepts.

Simplification is usually good.

That chart you posted is merely a parabolic representation of the WHOLE system, that's NOT what is portrayed by the simplified and narrow scaled chart posted originally.

Although the parabola DOES show exactly what the first chart showed to start with, that between the scales listed above are the SAME colors.

Thanks for proving the same point - albeit rather haughtily.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
umnitza said:
.nm, not worth wasting a post.
That's right. It's not like cutting and pasting a link of some picture from some other site, adding this :read:, and letting everyone who's reading to try and figure out on their own what you just posted. It just shows that you really do not know what you are talking about :p

·
Registered
17,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
smg-steve said:
That's right. It's not like cutting and pasting a link of some picture from some other site, adding this :read:, and letting everyone who's reading to try and figure out on their own what you just posted. It just shows that you really do not know what you are talking about :p
reread my post o kind sir;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.