BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
**note**due to someone elses stupidity I am recently disabled so my funds are low I have full intention of replacing everything but now its gonna take a bit more time. So my goal is to knock out the problems that will cause longterm or immediate damage first working my way down to the little stuff**I'm going to try and give as much info so were not Q and A-ing back and forth.
ok so here goes...its like 30 degrees but it snowed 2 days ago. To me that doesn't seem to be cold enough to cause problems. But then again....I don't know. So here's what I do know I have a 2001 330I. As far as testing goes the battery runs at 14.1v and its off at 12.5v. The alternator was tested at Autozone and it checked out good operating slightly less than its suppose to but not enough to drain battery overnight. When I do try to start the car the dashlights come on the sunroof functions and it clicks obviously the more I try to start it without fixing the situation it begins to die out little by little and won't click (turn over). Buuuuut when I get the car jumped it literally takes 3 minutes and it will start right up. The postive post is slightly loose but from my experience it was the postive post at one time and you'd move it a bit and it'd send power to the car. So today its been jumped again it took 3 minutes tops and the temp gauge was on the first hash by C so I highly doubt its cold weather. So here's the things I know possibly creating this problem. The big 50 fuses that I have are looking rustic where the plastic and the prongs meet but they are not blown. My fan resistor is doing the typical issue the blowing when it wants blowing when the car is shut off and its to the point where it wasn't blowing at all until yesterday I could hear it winding a little bit I am aware that is a common issue but my thinking is my car didn't die at all when the fan wasn't blowing and I got the fan to blow a bit and then my car died. Could the two be connected?? And also I do not have an extra key...quoting "I do not feel bad for any bmw owner that does not have a spare key" the key I have is functional but the battery within the key is pretty much done it rarely locks or unlocks and doesn't register in the manual keylock. In the ignition it does start it most of the time but there are times it doesn't register I'm smart enough to see the difference between the times that it is the key and when its dead because the key will turn everything on but won't turn over the battery will turn most everything on and turn over. I'm trying to rule out every possible reason this is happening before things get messed up.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
its the battery. the cold cranking amps is fairly important. bmw's stock battery is somewhere around 850 or some crap. if a jump start works everytime not sure what to tell you.

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
Sounds like your FSU/Fan Resistor is bad, this will cause the fan to run when the car is turned off and run the battery down, you can find the fuse for the blower and unplug it when you park the car overnight or disconnect the FSU.

As for the key, might be with the battery going low at times the EWS is having issues? Might be the battery, might be the ignition switch. Sort the battery issue then move forward.

If the key does not work in the door, get the $30 linkage kit from ebay. But the door link is designed to be weak and will break. You might want to leave the car unlocked or make sure you have other options to get into the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is what I was thinking. Yes the battery in the key is fried the buttons work once in a great great while. I am in the process of ordering a new one. As for the resistor again I am ordering that part as well. Now I heard this was a fairly easy fix I know what it does and where its located. (Passenger side behind the heater via side panels of the console). Has anyone done this themselves before? and on a separate note I live in a town that does not have a certified BMW shop and I will be replacing my front struts any advice or suggestions to the best/proper way to do this? Thanks

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sounds like your FSU/Fan Resistor is bad, this will cause the fan to run when the car is turned off and run the battery down, you can find the fuse for the blower and unplug it when you park the car overnight or disconnect the FSU.
+1 my FSR resistor was bad and my heater fan ran overnight and my car wouldnt start the next day because it killed my battery so i had to jump start it. Try changing that first to see what happens

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

1 - 5 of 5 Posts