E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should get the oil change and coolant filled but can't until I get my car insured, first car just got it two weeks ago. Any advice on this problem and my car would be much appreciated!
BMW 328i 1999 160,000 more info in video description

http://youtu.be/LyKfIWHCzDU

·
Registered
245 Posts
well, I'd say you're coolant is a little low so when the car is cold and the thermostat is closed you will get the light. When the car warms up and the thermostat opens, the light goes off, at least that's generally been my experience. Add coolant and monitor it for a leak, these cars are notorious for the various plastic cooling systems and their tendency to become brittle and crack over time.

In my case the unstable idle when cold was my vanos seals, it was alot worse in the winter, if I did my math right, it's about 77 Fahrenheit where you are, you'll notice as the weather gets colder the idle will bounce more on cold starts until it gets warmed up. Mine never stalled but after the VANOS seals, it never did it again. Good luck

Green

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, I'd say you're coolant is a little low so when the car is cold and the thermostat is closed you will get the light. When the car warms up and the thermostat opens, the light goes off, at least that's generally been my experience. Add coolant and monitor it for a leak, these cars are notorious for the various plastic cooling systems and their tendency to become brittle and crack over time.

In my case the unstable idle when cold was my vanos seals, it was alot worse in the winter, if I did my math right, it's about 77 Fahrenheit where you are, you'll notice as the weather gets colder the idle will bounce more on cold starts until it gets warmed up. Mine never stalled but after the VANOS seals, it never did it again. Good luck

Green
Unfortunately i live in the second coldest capital in the world next to Moscow haha, thanks for the info man. How much did the vanos seals cost you?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

1 - 3 of 3 Posts