BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i start my car in the morning at idle it kind of rattles and sounds like a diesel. If i rev the engine, the noise goes away untill the rpms get back to idle. As soon as I drive a way and it warms up a few minutes the noise is gone....what could it be?

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
7,162 Posts
My car had a rough start this morning for the first time.

The entire car was shaking and my car sounded like it was misfiring. The Service Engine Soon light came on as well. I drove around 100ft and stopped the car, turned it off, and restarted and it reset the warning light and the engine was running fine after that....really weird.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Bill97Z said:
when i start my car in the morning at idle it kind of rattles and sounds like a diesel. If i rev the engine, the noise goes away untill the rpms get back to idle. As soon as I drive a way and it warms up a few minutes the noise is gone....what could it be?
my car does that too. u just need to warm it up. supposely its normal.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Normal? I never did that till recently. I hope it's not normal, it sounds like a hurt'n ford pinto till it warms up!

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi,
i got the same problem. I have a 2000 328i, and have no problem for 3 years .. but the problem you mentioned just happened about a month ago .. and everytime when i start up the car in the morning, the engine rattle, and even stall, but it will be fine after the car warm up for a while .....

I don't think it is normal, i am going to take the car to the dealership this week, leave the car there overnight, and let them try it ....

·
Registered
562 Posts
yeah i took it in to they told me it was normal but if you hear differ let us know. mine started about a month or 2 ago

·
OG e46fanatics lurker!
2,067 Posts
i get this sh!t all the time too...i wonder what could it be. sometimes i get it even after the car has been warmed up.

·
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
5,218 Posts
The entire car was shaking and my car sounded like it was misfiring. The Service Engine Soon light came on as well. I drove around 100ft and stopped the car, turned it off, and restarted and it reset the warning light and the engine was running fine after that....really weird.
i had misfiring problems. It made my car stall while i was doing like 30mph, that was a weird feeling. if it keeps happening, have them check out the ignition coils, that fixed it for me.

my car sounds like that too when i turn it on, sounds like 2 pieces of metal squeeling together. it stops after warm up though. it kind of annoys me because you pay all this money for a "luxury coupe" and the car can make more noises than i can!
:banghead: supposedly its "normal":dunno:

-dalton

·
Law Enforcer
2,502 Posts
My M3 idles rough when it's cold too. It actually makes this weird audible humm for about 15 seconds, when I first start it in the morning. It then idles a bit rough until warm.

OH GOD I LOVE MY M!!!!

Attachments

·
Law Enforcer
2,502 Posts
My M3 idles rough when it's cold too. It actually makes this weird audible humm for about 15 seconds, when I first start it in the morning. It then idles a bit rough until warm.

OH GOD I LOVE MY M!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
odd noises in cold mornings

I think one of the things we hear is the knocking of poorely-to-unlubricated metal until the engine's motion gets the oil back up to the top of it and then things quiet down. The 2003 manual says that the computer will keep the RPMs a bit higher then usual when then engine is started cold. I'm not mechanically-inclined enough to know the exact names of what's making the knocking sound, though.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have the same problem too and my service guy said it was supposed make that sound and that it's a special bmw characteristic. So far it doesn't seem to be causing any problems so I'm taking his word for it for now.

Also, I know BMWs are not supposed to be luxury cars but even my old 94 civic as well as my cousins 93 toyota corolla had less noises(the cold starts, and the rattles) than my BMW. I'm just wondering why? If it's a tradeoff for performance and there really is nothing that can be done, then it's fine because I still love my car despite the problems. But if BMW knows about all these weird noises and doesn't try and fix them, then i'll be a bit angry.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My car sounds a little crunchy at times also, which, as others have mentioned, I have not experienced with non-BMWs... recently I read that BMW tolerances (the allowable gaps between parts, slop in the drive train, that sort of thing) are one-third of what most manufacturers set their tolerances at... So, perhaps when things are cold, they chatter a bit more becuase the tolerances are closer and its that much harder for the cold oil to get in there... Its kind of like those guys with the V8 muscle cars where everything has been blueprinted and tweaked to where the car just barely idles, but when you punch it, they take off like a jet... I guess these close tolerances are creating that torque we all love so much, and the trade off is that crunchy feeling on a cold morning...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have pretty good conformation that the noise is the.....

secondary air pumpaka smog pump. On cold startups it sounds bad....till it warms up.....POS part if u asked me.......

·
Registered
45 Posts
I recently took my car to the mechanic and changed my left engine mount. Now mine is rattling a little bit on cold starts (The rattle started when he removed my rotten mount and I was driving (gently) without it for a week). When the rpm drops to 1000rpm it rattles, when it drops further down to normal levels 600rpm the engine is as quiet as it can be :)

I think that it's the plastic cover underneath my car that is a bit loose because it has been bolted of a few times, it could also be something that has been put back a little looser than it should be. It also makes this sound when I accelerate hard around 2000rpm but it's not ideal because the 316i really doesn't have that much torque in low rpm's. It did not do this before, anyone have an idea ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts