E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently removed the factory airbox and installed a K&N cone filter. The sound is WAY better, but I'm worried that the intake is only getting hot air from the radiator. I have the M-Tech 1 front bumper, so there's a lot of scoop room down there, but the Xenon ballasts are too big to fit the Dinan CAI kit. I'm thinking 3" aluminium flex pipe and a scoop piece in the bumper. I am certainly open to suggestion. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
31 Posts
You don't need to think about the temperature of the air, you won't get cold/hot enough air that it will matter over other solutions. Everything I have read about intakes for the e46 tells me that you need to worry more about the tube length, which means that something like this http://www.autohance.com/injen-rd1110blk-race-division-intake.html?gclid=CLPQ-bDRt8oCFQooaQodxaoOQw should give you the best results. A big pluss for this particular kit is that the upper intake hose is included and it's not rubber :) There are several different brands that makes this type of design so just take a look at some online shops!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's definitely over-budget. I am really going for a DIY solution. I've already spent $50 on the filter and I'd like to keep the intake project under $100. I've tried the Dinan cold air intake kit, but it is far too large and does not fit in the engine bay. There is very little clearance between the Xenon ballasts and the frame. Maybe multiple 1" pipes would work?

·
Registered
31 Posts
That's definitely over-budget. I am really going for a DIY solution. I've already spent $50 on the filter and I'd like to keep the intake project under $100. I've tried the Dinan cold air intake kit, but it is far too large and does not fit in the engine bay. There is very little clearance between the Xenon ballasts and the frame. Maybe multiple 1" pipes would work?
Well, as long as you have an angle grinder you could always make your own piping while taking measurements and figuring out where it fits. What do you mean when you say multiple 1" pipes? 1" is way too narrow for an intake pipe diameter.

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
5,150 Posts
:search:

Waste of time and money unless all you're looking for is noise,

·
Registered
24 Posts
So I recently removed the factory airbox and installed a K&N cone filter. The sound is WAY better, but I'm worried that the intake is only getting hot air from the radiator. I have the M-Tech 1 front bumper, so there's a lot of scoop room down there, but the Xenon ballasts are too big to fit the Dinan CAI kit. I'm thinking 3" aluminium flex pipe and a scoop piece in the bumper. I am certainly open to suggestion. Any thoughts?
Would you be willing to sell your factory intake?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so I am just trying to improve the sound. The 323i is not a fast car. I can't do the golf tee mod because the 323i does not have that valve. It's a different exhaust system. All I'm trying to do is make it sound a little cooler. The cone filter already improved the sound a lot. I'm just trying to get some more fresh exterior air into the engine.

I'm also doing an electric cutout before the muffler.

·
Ironman
5,150 Posts
That guy is awesome.
That guy is full of crap. He knows nothing about the issue. Ignore him.

Look, if you searched you'll find cold air is NOT the source of power with a CAI. Under-hood temps are virtually ambient at speed. Tuned long-tube intakes can make power. Throwing stuff together doesn't work unless you just hit the right length on dumb luck. Getting cold air to the filter will do nothing as it's already getting ambient temp air.

Search.

·
Registered
2001 330i (5-speed)
2,670 Posts
That guy is full of crap. He knows nothing about the issue. Ignore him.

Look, if you searched you'll find cold air is NOT the source of power with a CAI. Under-hood temps are virtually ambient at speed. Tuned long-tube intakes can make power. Throwing stuff together doesn't work unless you just hit the right length on dumb luck. Getting cold air to the filter will do nothing as it's already getting ambient temp air.

Search.
Uhhh, you basically just restated exactly what he said in the video.
Cone intakes are a sign of a dumb dumb.

·
Ironman
5,150 Posts
Uhhh, you basically just restated exactly what he said in the video.
Cone intakes are a sign of a dumb dumb.
No. I didn't. You're not paying attention.

The plastic airbox is not insulating. Any power from a CAI does not come from cold air. It's a misnomer. Search. I've posted many times about this. Power from a CAI comes from resonance tuning, just like a header. Length is all-important.

·
Registered
87 Posts
No. I didn't. You're not paying attention.

The plastic airbox is not insulating. Any power from a CAI does not come from cold air. It's a misnomer. Search. I've posted many times about this. Power from a CAI comes from resonance tuning, just like a header. Length is all-important.
But does BMW already pay a lot of attention on this topic, isn't it?
We got the DISA and other stuff, does 3rd party CAI can really do better than BMW?

·
Registered
31 Posts
does 3rd party CAI can really do better than BMW?
Both Geo31 and Rob43 have posted info on this in several posts... Yes, up to 10whp is the answer. And I'd call 10whp before the air even gets to the engine a big deal. This gain seems to only come from the long-tube intakes. If you have/are looking at systems with heat shields or just filters that sit right infront of the MAF you will not see any gains to speak of. Again, the temperature does not matter once the car starts moving.

·
Ironman
5,150 Posts
But does BMW already pay a lot of attention on this topic, isn't it?
We got the DISA and other stuff, does 3rd party CAI can really do better than BMW?
The DISA simply complicates matters because there are two separate intake lengths. Now, I don't know the actual answer because it would involve probably thousands of dollars of dyno testing, but in theory it may even be possible to make power over a wider range of revs. I just don't know.

I do know there are precious few companies who have done their homework on this. Most companies slap something together, call it a cold air intake and charge a bunch of money for something that does little more than make noise. I am NOT saying they don't work and NOT saying they won't work on a Bimmer. There are some that have been shown to make power.

That said, that video that was posted was typical. Someone who knows nothing about how and why a CAI works acting like an expert and spreading monkeypoo all over the Internet.

Honestly, for a road car a CAI doesn't hold interest for me anymore. When I had my Sentra SE-R with the cost no object engine, that CAI was dyno proven to make 7+hp. But, it was loud. And it was attached to a 200bhp shop vac. Yep, you have to be careful going through any kind of standing water because your engine is a mega-powerful shop vac and I personally know 2-3 people who hydrolocked their engines by sucking up water. So, for me, on a road car, no thanks. If I was actually racing a Bimmer (not HPDE), I'd do a lot of research and you can bet your paycheck I'd have one on my car. But I'd do a butt-load of testing first.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts