BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 325i
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no interest in lowering my car or anything of the sort, i just wonder if the ride would feel smoother with coilovers than it would be with OEM struts and coils? And regardless of them, where should I purchase whatever I end up choosing?

·
Registered
2004 330CI ZHP
190 Posts
Coilovers generally have higher damping rates, which are supposed to be paired with stiffer springs. If you're not interested in lowering or increasing the performance of your car you can't go wrong with Bilstein B4 (Touring).

I'd recommend FCP Euro, because if you plan to keep your car for a long time you can send the struts/shocks back for unlimited free replacement with their lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
2004 325i
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coilovers generally have higher damping rates, which are supposed to be paired with stiffer springs. If you're not interested in lowering or increasing the performance of your car you can't go wrong with Bilstein B4 (Touring).
I’m somewhat new to understanding suspensions, but when you say performance, is it something that’s only noticeable, like say on a track, or something i’d notice just driving around?

·
Registered
2004 330CI ZHP
190 Posts
I’m somewhat new to understanding suspensions, but when you say performance, is it something that’s only noticeable, like say on a track, or something i’d notice just driving around?
It's only something you'll notice on the track, or whenever you're really pushing your car. Even then, a set of Koni Yellow dampers and Eibach Pro Kit springs will likely ride and handle better than 95% of coilovers <$1000.

·
Registered
'01 320Ci manual
494 Posts
To notice gains from coilovers yeah you need to push your car and yes they are generally much stiffer but I recall kw having a coilover kit that improved comfort too, name is street and comfort coilovers. I guess it's pricey though. A fine middle cheap solution would be bilstein b4 socks as suggested which are considered an equivalent replacement to the oem, or sachs advantage socks which are actually oem

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you are looking for enhanced comfort the Koni Special Actives are also worth a look.

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,414 Posts
No interest in lowering or performance either, and the B4s with original springs have been great for last 77k miles or so.

Make sure the front tires are not overinflated. After studying the door label abit, I realized that recommended tire pressure was only 32 or 33 psi for the fronts and 37 or 38 psi for the rears (for a partiallly loaded car). That helped smooth the car out alot ...with the fronts at 35psi things would get pretty harsh over bumps, potholes, construction plates, etc.

·
Registered
2004 325i
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For stock replacement, Bilstien B4 Touring are very good, and cheaper than the OE Sachs.
So i’m looking to buying these now, but would I have to reuse the old coils on the front? Or would I be better off buying new coils? Because one thing I don’t want to do is mess up and shoot that coil somewhere where it hurts someone or myself

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,501 Posts
So i’m looking to buying these now, but would I have to reuse the old coils on the front? Or would I be better off buying new coils? Because one thing I don’t want to do is mess up and shoot that coil somewhere where it hurts someone or myself
Reuse your existing factory coils, assuming they’re still in good condition, ie not rusted.

·
Registered
2004 325i
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reuse your existing factory coils, assuming they’re still in good condition, ie not rusted.
Alrighty, and is there anything else I should inspect that’s not part of the struts and coils that might need to be replaced?

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,501 Posts
Alrighty, and is there anything else I should inspect that’s not part of the struts and coils that might need to be replaced?
Yes, there is. Suggest you watch DIY youtube videos and read some DIY articles on the job to see what all is involved, tools needed, what other parts should be replaced, etc. Look up the part numbers on realoem.com. I ordered mine from fcpeuro.com.

Parts list from the last time I did that job.

FRONT
  1. Bilstein Touring (B4) left strut: 31306757043
  2. Bilstein Touring (B4) right strut: 31306757044
  3. Strut boots: 31331094749
  4. 32mm strut top caps: 31306774021
  5. Bump stops: 31336778544
  6. Strut Tower Reinforcement Plates: 51717036781
  7. Upper spring pads: 31331091867
  8. Lower spring pads: 31331096664
  9. Aftermarket camber adjustment plates
REAR
  1. Bilstein Touring (B4) shocks
  2. Heavy duty shock mounts: 33526779670
  3. Shock mount reinforcements: BavAuto B3300045
  4. Protection tube: 33521136283
  5. Bump stop: 33532229777
  6. Self locking mount nuts: 07119905374

·
Registered
408 Posts
I kept my springs and put in the Koni Special Actives a few months ago and am quite happy with it. I would say it is quite comfortable, I wasn't looking for anything sporty or whatnot since I don't do any racing or performance driving. They feel soft on bumps and there is very little swaying when I turn and no nose-diving during braking anymore. The car feels much more secure now that it basically stays flat everywhere I go. I also did 21 rear bushings at the same time but I really don't feel that did a lot for me, was mostly because I was curious what a new suspension would feel like after 210,000kms.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts