E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone explain how coil overs work? if i were to get the bilstein 9 way adjustable coilovers how would i change the ride height? how easy to install coilovers and what are the best ones? thanks guys!

·
2 point five 3 two 3 i
3,789 Posts
not an expert but:
on a regular shock, the spring sits on a perch that does not move. in a coilover system, the perch is threaded onto the strut. this way when you turn the perch it will either move up or down changing the ride height.

I helped vinnymac install some coilovers and it was fairly easy. the big reason is that you do not have to compress the spring.

I hope that helps.

·
booo for body roll.
3,105 Posts
pss9 or kw v2 are probably the most popular and liked.

hm theres not much way to explain it other than what truwon said. i'll see if i can find some pics..

·
2 point five 3 two 3 i
3,789 Posts
oh yeah, that how the front is set up.
in the back, the set up is similar to oem where the strut and spring are seperate. but inplace of the "rubber nipple" that the springs sit on for other suspenion setups, in coilovers, the spring again sits on a perch that is threaded and can be turned to raise and lower the back height.

hope I'm not confusing you.
:eeps:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Coil-Overs do sit on a single or dual locking perch. The problem with the double perch locking system on some is that road tar and gravel can lodge its way between the perch and make it a pain in the ass to un thread to lower or raise. Some of the better brands are a coilover/shock combo. These usually also have a dampening adjust knob in the engine bay at the top of the strut/shock assembly. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.