BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the BMWhat app for code reading (very cool , BTW). I have two codes that I don't understand, and would love help:

Audio/Navi/Communication:
Radio
Fehler: Energy saving mode is activated
Code: 0000
Systems:
Gateway /ZKE
Fehler: Anti-theft alarm system: Siren, radio inside protection, tilt sensor alarm or wire STDWA short circuit to g
Code: 0007

Any ideas?

·
Registered
52 Posts
The ZKE 0007 code is a short circuit wire to ground for one of the DWA antitheft alarm sensors.
The radio code is an energy saving mode when it shouldn't be.

I was just reading a thread last night about how wandering voltages can trigger this kind of stuff if you have a bad ignition switch. Might try there first.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So i found more out about ZKE 0007 - seems it happens when you code the car to flash when locked/unlocked and you have no alarm installed. So now I just have to figure out the Energy saving mode. I really hope it is not a failing component. I am facing a big suspension job and that is expensive enough!

·
Registered
628 Posts
I got the BMWhat app for code reading (very cool , BTW). I have two codes that I don't understand, and would love help:

Audio/Navi/Communication:
Radio
Fehler: Energy saving mode is activated
Code: 0000
Systems:
Gateway /ZKE
Fehler: Anti-theft alarm system: Siren, radio inside protection, tilt sensor alarm or wire STDWA short circuit to g
Code: 0007

Any ideas?
How do you like the app otherwise? Is it similar to pa soft where you can code things in your ecu? It looks pretty new and has mixed reviews on Google play.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BMWhat is an excellent app, and it is the direction these tools have to go. And the reviews on Google Play are phenomenal, in quality and quantity. 4.8 over thousands of reviews is remarkable. You may be looking at the lite version, which is really only there to flush out situations where the tool won't work with a particular car, device or adapter. And there are some folks who feel that you shouldn't have to pay real money for an app, even if it is incredibly valuable.

It reads codes, resets codes, and allows you to set a fairly large number of features like lights on and off.

I would offer a strong suggestion that you embrace that they are solving a difficult problem for us - integrating deliberately obscure and atrociously architected car systems to the most advanced, user centric devices on the planet. So follow their directions!

If you have an E46, use their cable and an android device that supports USB OTG. Don't get angry that you can't use your iPhone or that it doesn't support Bluetooth. These issues are caused by BMW, not BMWhat! Just follow their direction and you will get a tool that fits in your glovebox, does the job without requiring a degree in computer science or a pedigree as a mechanic, and, most importantly, regularly improves with new updates.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,767 Posts
And there are some folks who feel that you shouldn't have to pay real money for an app, even if it is incredibly valuable.
People can say/think/feel whatever they want, it's a free world. But before they expect something for free, maybe they should try writing a quality app and give it away!

Don't get angry that you can't use your iPhone or that it doesn't support Bluetooth. These issues are caused by BMW, not BMWhat!
Wrong. It is Apple's fault. Their iOS specifically does not allow apps full access to the OBD2 bluetooth data. You can read about the details here.
http://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/346/what-iphone-ipad-app-works-best-with-elm327-bluetooth-obd-ii-reader

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
If you have an E46, use their cable and an android device that supports USB OTG. Don't get angry that you can't use your iPhone or that it doesn't support Bluetooth. These issues are caused by BMW, not BMWhat! Just follow their direction and you will get a tool that fits in your glovebox, does the job without requiring a degree in computer science or a pedigree as a mechanic, and, most importantly, regularly improves with new updates.
Gotta STRONGLY disagree with this statement in bold. Not caused by BMW!

Not a BMW issue, an issue that the developer does not want to or know how to make the App work on multiple platforms or interfaces.

The only other issue is most of the OBDII wireless interfaces do not connect to the manufacturers specific databus, usually just a simple pin location difference, but a "custom" or modified OBDII wireless interface could be developed and sourced.

The problem is the total numbers of the App probably do not justify the time or effort for a modified or custom interface. What would work if the developer had specific interfaces that could easily be modified by the end user along and provided a procedure to modify the interface.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,767 Posts
I haven't tried BMWhat yet, it's on my short list of apps to check out, but I believe it DOES support BMW-specific OBD2 data - similar to PA Soft 1.4/BMW Scanner.

Apple chose not to implement support in iOS for the simple serial profile, which is what the ELM327 bluetooth adapters use.

There are other bluetooth profiles Apple purposely doesn't support on some devices. For example, although iPhones support the bluetooth profile for bluetooth telephone headsets, iPads do not. If you try using the Skype VOIP app on iPad for phone calls you can only used a wired headset, although bluetooth headsets work just fine with iPhone. Grrrr...:evil:

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
Apple does not like to allow BT to transfer data for security reasons, audio is a different story.

The work around that almost all developers use is WiFi in AdHoc mode.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Looking at their website, it appears the answer is yes.
http://www.ivini-apps.com/apps_detail_bmwhat_android.html

When I read up on it last week, it appeared to support BOTH bluetooth and WiFi OBD2 adapters.

One of us needs to try it out though. I plan to install the app on my Android and iPad and try it out, hopefully tonight!
Looks like you need the cable for a E46..

Diagnosis works with OBD-cable
Coding also works with OBD-cable
Diagnosis and Coding does NOT work with bluetooth adapter
Not sure what Android tablet has a full blown USB port on it..

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So does the BMWhat app work on the E46 with one of those ebay OBD2 bluetooth adapters?
No. You have to use the cable. Bluetooth works with later BMWs, but not E46

1 - 16 of 16 Posts