BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,
I have the UUC clutch stop and have a really hard time getting it into gear sometimes. It also sounds like it grind a little bit once in a while. I cant get the clutch stop screwed in any more but it looks in there pretty far. Any ideas? Should I just take this mod out? Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
122 Posts
i followed the DIY on that 330ci site, and it said get 50mm bolt. For me it was too long even screwed all the way in, so i switched it with a 40mm. Now, its good.

·
E46Fanatic
3,134 Posts
i cut off about 4 threads and it still felt alittle too high. cut off another 3 and that was perfect.

·
'a certain moderator'
38,188 Posts
hmm, i made my own, and had no issues. dont you have to adjust the engine start mechanism if u have it out very far? i made mine so i could just start the car barely, and its perfect.

cost me $0.29 too !!

-brendan

·
E46Fanatic
3,134 Posts
simsima325 said:
hmm, i made my own, and had no issues. dont you have to adjust the engine start mechanism if u have it out very far? i made mine so i could just start the car barely, and its perfect.

cost me $0.29 too !!

-brendan
UUC's clutch stop is at the borderline of the car starting or not. at first i couldn't start it, had to really screw in the clutch stop and apply some pressure on the clutch. the main reason i cut the threads was this and also it didn't match up right w/ the stock shifter. the throws are too long compared to the clutch w/ the stop. it would probably have a better feel w/ a SSK. but w/ a few threads cut off, it has a much better feel to it.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Well,

It's my belief that a lot of people have the clutch stops adjusted too high - that they are actually causing extra wear just because they feel the need to have shorter clutch travel.

If you are at the point where it may/may not start, that should tell you something.

Besides, if you really wanted one, just DIY....the UUC one is made of better material, but considering you can make one for change, you can put a new one in every month if you so desire.

I think a clutch stop is like leaving your foot resting on the clutch pedal as you drive...causing unnecessary wear over the long term.

If you want to do a clutch upgrade, do a real upgrade: TurnerMotorSports Flywheel and an upgraded clutch.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I disagree with Optimo.It has no effect on clutch wear. Is there any way to bypass magnetic switch,so i can bring my stop to point of clutch engagment????

·
E46Fanatic
3,134 Posts
OPTIMO said:
Well,

It's my belief that a lot of people have the clutch stops adjusted too high - that they are actually causing extra wear just because they feel the need to have shorter clutch travel.

i'm thinking that this is why my clutch is completely shot. my car has 7,200 miles on but i sit in alot of traffic every morning, and i thought this myself. i think that w/ the stop cut down, it'll be ok, but at the height it comes, i think is no good. i bought my maxima brand new in 97' when i was 18 and couldn't drive stick. i learned on that car and sold it w/ 120K never replacing the clutch. either it's the clutch stop or a defective clutch. :confused:

·
Registered
172 Posts
will installing a stop effect my warranty? why would where the clutch engages have anything to do with the throw of ssk?
:dunno:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts