BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody,

I think I have a clutch issue but I am not quite sure. And it's a bit complicated so I will try to summarize my dilemma:

I bought my 316ti Compact 2003 @220k from Zurich this year, drove it for 2.5k to Istanbul, had the brake pads and disk replaced. I also bought a clutch, tried to have it replaced, but the repairman convinced me that the clutch was good. So I put the clutch in the trunk and drove another 2.5k back to Zurich. I do not drive the car very often, but lately when I drive it for short distances it gives out this burning rubber smell from the front area. So given the millage I thought it must be the clutch. There is no problem with the gear shifting, and there is no smell when I drive long distances. But I will drive to Sofia next week (2k) so I thought I should replace the clutch just to be on the safe side. I asked for a price in a couple of garages in Germany an they told me they can not install my own clutch, I have to by the part from them and then have it installed. They also told me that it would cost 1200 eu + 500 eu if the flywheel needs replacing. The price seemed too high for me so right now I am thinking whether I can make it to Bulgaria on this clutch because there I will be able to get my own clutch installed for less than 200 eu.

So what do you think? How can I tell if the clutch can make it another 2k? It will be mainly highway traffic, may be some city traffic around Munich?

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure it's clutch ? 220k km is kinda low for typical clutch life.
They should last 300k km at least.
well I am not sure, I did the test where I put the e-brake on and try to take off in 2nd gear without gas and it stalls so it should be good. But the smell is there and its like burning rubber, and since the brake discs and the pads are new I don't know what else it could be.

·
Registered
130 Posts
well I am not sure, I did the test where I put the e-brake on and try to take off in 2nd gear without gas and it stalls so it should be good. But the smell is there and its like burning rubber, and since the brake discs and the pads are new I don't know what else it could be.

Zamazalotta... It does not sound like your clutch to me. When my clutch failed it was hard to put into gear and I literally had to jam it in. That smell your describing doesn't sound right! The clutch smell is a very nasty smell, not like burning rubber but something very different. If the clutch passed the test then I would say your clutch is good. Check your belts and make sure they are not rubbing on something. Do a visual inspection in your engine area and look under the car as well... Let us know what you find!

·
:D
7,796 Posts
Doesn't sound like a clutch. A clutch shouldn't smell like anything when it's on it's way out.
It's got to be something else. You'll just have to look around. Could be tire rubbing on turns. Could be a wire or hose touching something in your engine bay. Could be anything really.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
now with all of you saying that it doesn't sound like the clutch i am more or less convinced :) I took the car for another spin and i think when it might be related to the brakes, also now I notice that when I hit on the brakes suddenly the steering wheel shakes a little. But I already had both the discs and the pads changed 2.5k ago. The smell is coming from the lower parts close to the wheels. And I can't see anything in the engine bay, it's all covered, nothing like my old e21. Maybe I should also tell you that before I bought the car this February it had been sitting at the dealer for 5 months.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Go for a spin and gun in it 3rd gear. If it revs more than accelerates clutch. But it doesn't sound like a clutch. nor does a clutch stink as its going out, maybe you just had a bad day driving if your convinced its clutch stank.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Maybe your brake caliper seized up that could explain the shaking in the wheel. After taking it out for a drive touch the rims, be careful tho, if the caliper is seized up, the heat will transfer to the wheel, an the rim will be very very hot.

Doesn't explain any burning smell tho.

·
:D
7,796 Posts
Yeah brakes don't smell typically. Even When theres a stuck caliper Maybe you're leaking fluid and it's burning on the headers or something

1 - 10 of 10 Posts