E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day my 99 328i with 5 speed manual just started slipping really bad out of nowhere. I have had one slip before but never so abruptly. It also began making a noise in neutral that sounded like a diesel. The sound went away with the clutch in.

Took out the transmission and have attached some pictures of what I found. Some sort of m5 conversion flywheel? I also would like to know if I should replace this clutch. Maybe the throwout bearing?.

I also have a 3-series lightweight flywheel sitting around from UUC. Anyone know which is better?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
7,930 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
]

It's an excellent package, looks like your E34 M5 Disc is at the end of its life. I'd also buy a new T/O bearing, both are stock BMW parts that you can source from almost anywhere.

Good luck.
So an OEM M5 clutch and T/O bearing is what i'm looking for. Not 3 series parts. correct? Just want to be sure because that is what I was thinking. I will probably do the pressure plate as well just to be safe.

Another interesting find... found the UUC double sheer selector rod, but the shifter had more than in inch of play to each side when in gear. Recommendations to tighten this up? Anything else I might as well replace while it's all apart? Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
I'd write down All of your corresponding part numbers for each piece & then make sure it matches up to UUC's kit. You can always call UUC just to make sure, also they might be able to tell you how (if any) to test your current pressure plate.....it still might be in great shape.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts