BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any experience with replacing an e46 M3 clutch? Would you go with OEM or aftermarket? BMW dealership quoted me 4100 (including labor), which I find outrageous. Not sure how much I should be paying for this...appreciate any help. Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You need to have good independent shop give you a second opinion. Being in New York there shouldn't be a shortage of options and hopefully some other members on this board from your region can point you in the right direction.

All of my work, and it has been extensive, has been by an independent. I've not had my clutch done. I would never, ever, let a dealership work on my car. I know there are good dealer techs but dealerships as a whole can suck a .....

Edit: If you really want to get some good opinions get the estimate then scan and upload. Black out names, phones numbers, etc.
This way the hard core DIY crew can supply some good analysis and see all parts the dealership has included.

Edit: Flywheel as well?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You need to have good independent shop give you a second opinion. Being in New York there shouldn't be a shortage of options and hopefully some other members on this board from your region can point you in the right direction.

All of my work, and it has been extensive, has been by an independent. I've not had my clutch done. I would never, ever, let a dealership work on my car. I know there are good dealer techs but dealerships as a whole can suck a .....

Edit: If you really want to get some good opinions get the estimate then scan and upload. Black out names, phones numbers, etc.
This way the hard core DIY crew can supply some good analysis and see all parts the dealership has included.

Edit: Flywheel as well?
Thanks for the info. Yup, tomorrow I'm going to get quotes from some local independent shops. Dealership didn't really give me a formal estimate breakdown, but I will inquire about a full one with all the parts, pricings, etc.

Also forgot to mention this earlier but they mentioned that if they found the flywheel to be scorched (which they will only know when they go to work on the clutch), that will be an addition 1700 for parts and 1hr of labor!

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Seems reasonable! I've heard however that shops will charge extra labor if you bring in your own parts--anybody have recommendations on buying my own parts vs. having them do it all?
Customer-supplied parts generally are installed without warranty.

·
Registered
238 Posts
this wasn't on my M3 but my 325i which tbh the process of replacing both clutch is pretty much the same.

I provided the parts and the shop charged me 860bucks for labor here in California.

And true some shop won't offer warranty if you supply the part. The shop I went to still covers the warranty for labor, if they did something wrong on installation.

Some shops don't even accept the job at all.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I paid 1750 at my indy for a clutch, shift fork, pivot pin, ant throw out bearing. Plus fluid. It was 900 in labor to do the job.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just use OEM parts, really hard to improve on the build quality (except for the subframe mounting issue). Get the Sachs clutch set, LUK flywheel, new flywheel bolts, and related parts. Also, since it's part of the job, inspect the guibo (just replace if there's any deterioration) and do the shift bushings. You didn't say how many miles on the car. Trans mounts are very easy to change also. None of these parts are super expensive, and they're going to be involved in the disassembly. With the prices for the parts link shiftyshadow was nice to provide, about $1k for parts and "about" the same for labor.

There's a fair amount of well trained factory mechanics that got tired of working for dealerships, don't have the overhead, and can provide quality work. That being said, this is not a difficult job for a diy'er. I've been playing with cars for decades, and BMW's (at least 2006 and older) are the most straight-forward, well thought out cars to work on. This job can be completed in a weekend. You need some basic tools, torque wrench, a good jack, and some jackstands. Plenty of stuff on YouTube/BMW sites to see what's involved. If you have some buddies it's even easier, but I've done it by myself w/o the luxury of a lift. Most difficult part is the bell housing bolts. Best of luck with your repair, let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone, actually had two other mechanics look at the car, and they both actually said that the clutch was fine. (They opened up the transmission and drove). So I guess all good!

·
Registered
306 Posts
ya i just did my clutch and did the flywheel as well while at it - went with Sachs clutch set, LUK flywheel, managed to get them new for cheap off ebay shipped from miami or something...gfor labor i went to an indy shop and was like less than grand for labor

·
Registered
3 Posts
$3000 OTD SMG with new clutch(Genuine BMW) machined wheel, new slave cylinder, main seal, fork, TOB, drive shaft support bearing(unexpected, it was shot) guibo, etc. Done by very knowledgeable indy shop in Los Angeles.

Shortly later I had to change smg pump.
Bought used and tested smg for $800 and paid $900 for installation and program. $1700 ain't that painful for Smg pump.

My car runs like a champ now.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Non M here but it'll help....05' 330ci SMG/SSG, independent shop ex BMW tech (the only way to go), new flywheel, LUK clutch, TOB, pivot Pin, rear main seal, system bled and adaptations done $2300 total. No issues for the last 30k. Probably paid too much, but I had zero experience with SMG so worth it for me.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Pick up the luk clutch kit off amazon even with the flywheel your looking at $600.. add labor maybe $1500

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

1 - 19 of 19 Posts