E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you're a member of the BMW CCA... you might be able to get 15-20% off on parts and labor...

I know BMW Gallery does 15% off parts and labor for members..

Also, the warranty is 2 years, unlimited miles...

but does this include the flywheel as well?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
If you're a member of the BMW CCA... you might be able to get 15-20% off on parts and labor...

I know BMW Gallery does 15% off parts and labor for members..

Also, the warranty is 2 years, unlimited miles...

but does this include the flywheel as well?
The price includes the flywheel. I am a CCA member

·
Registered
190 Posts
The price includes the flywheel. I am a CCA member
Ask them to requote the job using your CCA discount with the Boston Chapter. Also, try German Auto - they have been CCA members for 30+ years!

·
Registered
Best M5 Ever Made!
7,785 Posts
holy mother of god.

I always wondered what it would cost to get the clutch replaced at the dealer. But I do recall when I had my E30 way back when and had some clutch issues, they replaced the flywheel, and it alone was about $800 for the part!!!

Scary. If I were you, I'd consider getting the parts you need from Tischer, and having Dave do the install, or trying to call around to other places like BPG to see what their quotes are?.

Let us know the best price you get and settle on, as well as how good the work was done. I DIY most everything myself, but the clutch is probs one thing I'd have to take it somewhere else to get done.

How do you tell if you have a badly worn flywheel? Is there any way to tell, other than taking the tranny/clutch apart and inspecting it once you're in there? Or is it safe to say that after a hundred plus thousand miles, and a clutch that is getting worn/slipping, the flywheel needs to be replaced too? someone skool me on this. so If I ever need to go down this path, I know what's up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I go to Jon at Blue and White Motors in Attleboro. One man shop, works exclusively on BMW's, and is very easy to work with. He's done all the normal maintenance stuff on my Xi, and always has an E46 or two in the shop.

He's 10 minutes outside of Providence. Not sure if he honors the CCA discount, but he's cheap enough where it usually doesn't matter.

1815 County Street
Attleboro, MA 02703
(508) 399-6320

Ben

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
I take it you have used them before? Can first hand vouch for their work? It would be nice to take it somewhere close by
I have never had to take my car anywhere (yet) to get work done, I do everything myself and my buddy is a mechanic so i can use his shop at night.

I had Cima do a PPI on my car before I bought it. They have worked on my cousin's 740iL many times, my brothers 2 MB's, my dad's old porsche, and so forth.

I'm sure this would be rather simple for them... at least call them and get a quote to see what you are working with.

·
It ain't cheap to be cool.
4,080 Posts
Uuc clutc with lightweight flywheel me install :)

·
Registered
708 Posts
the book time on a clutch job is 6 hours, plus parts the clutch kit for your car oem sachs is 250. Most shops charge 110 give or take so the total is around nine plus tax 1300 is not a bad price but it is not that smoking of a deal either.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks to all for the suggestions, especially Dave for the UUC clutch and flyweel.

Dilemma with the work I had done:

I decided to go to an indy shop and got it done for $800. Did a nice job on my clutch and the car shifts very smooth now. But the work resulted in 2 lights being turned on indefinitely - DSC light and orange brake light. My car is also running quite sluggishly. My thought is that the engine is being held back by the computer and I need to read and clear the codes (assuming they are in fact harmless). Semi-limp mode?

Please let me know if you agree, and how you would go about resetting the codes - can this be done with the code reader itself (I have used one awhile ago but don't own one - might borrow a friend's) Or am I forced to take it to the dealership and be charged $200?

Thanks

·
Registered
Best M5 Ever Made!
7,785 Posts
thanks to all for the suggestions, especially Dave for the UUC clutch and flyweel.

Dilemma with the work I had done:

I decided to go to an indy shop and got it done for $800. Did a nice job on my clutch and the car shifts very smooth now. But the work resulted in 2 lights being turned on indefinitely - DSC light and orange brake light. My car is also running quite sluggishly. My thought is that the engine is being held back by the computer and I need to read and clear the codes (assuming they are in fact harmless). Semi-limp mode?

Please let me know if you agree, and how you would go about resetting the codes - can this be done with the code reader itself (I have used one awhile ago but don't own one - might borrow a friend's) Or am I forced to take it to the dealership and be charged $200?

Thanks

Who the F does a repair on a car that is fully paid for by YOU ($800) and gives you the car back with your dashboard lit up like an xmas tree???

Only thing I know about the DSC light and the orange brake light on all the time is that you have no DSC, it's turned off. Have you tried pressing your DSC button or holding it down for awhile to see if that affects the lights? can you go to a parking lot and mess around to confirm you do or do not have DSC?

what kind of shop is that? sketchy. I guess you get what you pay for, but if I were you I'd go right back to the shop and demand they fix it.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Who the F does a repair on a car that is fully paid for by YOU ($800) and gives you the car back with your dashboard lit up like an xmas tree???

Only thing I know about the DSC light and the orange brake light on all the time is that you have no DSC, it's turned off. Have you tried pressing your DSC button or holding it down for awhile to see if that affects the lights? can you go to a parking lot and mess around to confirm you do or do not have DSC?

what kind of shop is that? sketchy. I guess you get what you pay for, but if I were you I'd go right back to the shop and demand they fix it.
I 100% agree. And I did go back to tell them to fix it. They won't though - they are hiding behind: "The clutch that we installed is working fine, and the SES light (which they refer to as check engine) was on before we got it". So I left and went to another local guy (Protech, Johnston RI) - who says it is a malfunctioning crankshaft sensor, 90 for 1 hour labor + price for part. I am going to let them do it Wednesday.

BTW the original shop is Attleboro (MA) Auto Shop.

Also I did check that the DSC light is locked on, I have toggled the switch but it doesn't budge so I am confident that DSC is off but I have not been able to confirm, also my car is running sluggish so I wouldn't be able to launch it well anyway. I am hoping the CS fix turns of the DSC issue, but I don't know.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Crankshaft sensor is an easy thing to change.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Were the lights on before you brought the car in for a clutch change? There are a number of items that can cause the DSC light to come on but crank position sensor is not one of them.

I would go to a reputable shop with a BMW GT1 / Autologic or equivalent scan tool and get a full car diagnosis.

·
Registered
Best M5 Ever Made!
7,785 Posts
Were the lights on before you brought the car in for a clutch change? There are a number of items that can cause the DSC light to come on but crank position sensor is not one of them.

I would go to a reputable shop with a BMW GT1 / Autologic or equivalent scan tool and get a full car diagnosis.
I totally agree here. I have had to replace both of my camshaft position sensors (I know it's not the crank position sensor, but may be similar), and both times I got codes thrown, and my DSC light never came on with any of that.

Dude, if your lights were all on in the first place before you brought the car in, then you'll have to deal with that, telling the shop that replaced your clutch to fix that is silly.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I totally agree here. I have had to replace both of my camshaft position sensors (I know it's not the crank position sensor, but may be similar), and both times I got codes thrown, and my DSC light never came on with any of that.

Dude, if your lights were all on in the first place before you brought the car in, then you'll have to deal with that, telling the shop that replaced your clutch to fix that is silly.
No no no no, I did not tell then to replace the clutch to fix lights, the car needed a new clutch - it was very high. The new clutch feels great, but it is hard to feel the benefits because of the sluggish power

1 - 20 of 29 Posts