E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so lately my clutch (99 323i) has been getting a little soft on me (noticed over time that the clutch catches higher and higher, almost at release point) and it's time to look into getting a new clutch kit or possibly just a nice clutch set and have the flywheel resurfaced? The title states it all and I need your guys' clutch kit or set preferences/recommendations. Educated knowledge and personal experiences help the most! Forgot to mention that I'm not trying to spend a load of money for it, maybe $1k tops. No more then that. Help is appreciated.

Thanks! :hi:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
First, you can't resurface your dual mass flywheel, most people here will recommend that you buy a new flywheel, either a new dual mass, or a lightweight single mass. Most likely, if this is the first clutch replacement your car has had, then you can reuse the stock flywheel. If $1k includes labor for installation then you should simply get a replacement clutch kit, ~ $300 (clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing) and have it installed and be most likely within budget at a decent indy mechanic. Since you have a project car etc listed, I'm thinking you may do it yourself, then I would also do a few fixes while you are at it, such as the "5th gear lean", maybe a gear oil swap, etc.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's weird. B5 S4's run off dual mass flywheels as well and people (including myself) get them resurfaced all the time. What is so unique/different about this dual mass flywheel setup, opposed to the Audi's? Unfortunately, this will be the third time it's lifetime (two times it was replaced by PO), so I guess I'll look for a kit that includes a lwfw or something. I was looking at the UUC lwfw and performance clutch kit with the M5 clutch disk on Bavauto. Any input on that setup? And my $1k maximum price goes to the price of the kit itself, no labor. Anyone have experiences with just a replacement clutch kit and how long it lasted, because I commute this car 45+ miles a day highway, but sometimes like to do some spirited driving. Need something that feels semi-daily drivable, but also something that'll hold up under some load. And I'm definitely doing the additional maintenance aside from the clutch job. Thanks for the heads up, still trying to get a little more familiar with the e46 platform.

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
5,115 Posts
There is dispute on this board over the ability to resurface a DMFW. It's certainly been done.

I am facing a clutch replacement soon myself. My clutch and FW are original with over 205k miles. As such, I don't trust my flywheel for another 100k+ miles, so I'm going to replace my flywheel. If I had half the miles, I would just scuff the surface with a Scotchbrite pad and just replace the clutch plate, PP, and TOB.

At home I have bookmarked an alternative to the UUC low mass flywheel and clutch set-up that is significantly less expensive IIRC. I'll try to post the link when I get home.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Hey guys, so lately my clutch (99 323i) has been getting a little soft on me (noticed over time that the clutch catches higher and higher, almost at release point) and it's time to look into getting a new clutch kit or possibly just a nice clutch set and have the flywheel resurfaced? The title states it all and I need your guys' clutch kit or set preferences/recommendations. Educated knowledge and personal experiences help the most! Forgot to mention that I'm not trying to spend a load of money for it, maybe $1k tops. No more then that. Help is appreciated.

Thanks! :hi:
this does not mean your clutch is going. Our cars have self adjusting hydraulic systems.
How many miles on the clutch?
have you checked the fluid level and condition of it? Are you sure you don't have a leak in the system?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is dispute on this board over the ability to resurface a DMFW. It's certainly been done.

I am facing a clutch replacement soon myself. My clutch and FW are original with over 205k miles. As such, I don't trust my flywheel for another 100k+ miles, so I'm going to replace my flywheel. If I had half the miles, I would just scuff the surface with a Scotchbrite pad and just replace the clutch plate, PP, and TOB.

At home I have bookmarked an alternative to the UUC low mass flywheel and clutch set-up that is significantly less expensive IIRC. I'll try to post the link when I get home.
That would help so much if you can get to that link to the alternative clutch kit with the low mass flywheel. Purchasing a new clutch kit this Friday hopefully and need options.

Update: Clutch slips at 3500rpms and anything past. Need more responses and personal experiences with good clutch setups that are recommended asap! :bump:

·
Registered
115 Posts
do you know of anyone who has ran the F1 setup you posted i am interested in it as well.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Definitely looking into the F1 setup. The price is seemingly temptatious, especially since it comes with a lwfw in the kit opposed to having to re-use the heavy stock dual mass fw or buying a new one separately.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts