BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i first got my m3 i had no previous stick driving experiance (not smart i know, long story, i couldnt even find a manual rental car) so the first day i stalled like 20 times. I got my car a week ago. now its like one-two stalls per day. My friend said that im tottaly burning through my clutch and my tranny by doing this. is this true? i stalled a lot during the first day but not its not that bad. haha i know its kinda sad to learn stick on a brand new m3 but hey what can u do my situation was like that. and if i AM tottaly messing my clutch up (which i dont think i am) will warranty cover me? my car has 343 miles on it right now.

·
Registered
726 Posts
no you are not messing up anything... s*** happens...lol...keep practicing, its easy once you get the hang of it!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I learned it on my brand new 540i by the time i perfected it i burned the clutch and got a new one (not covered under waranty unless its defective)

·
Registered
340 Posts
VAMZ said:
jesus, how much was the clutch? did u stall like mad?!?
It wasnt from stalling, stalling wont heart the clutch that mutch. It was from going really fast from 1st gear and then learning how to change to 2nd thats where you will have the problem. I paid 2000 for the dealer to change the clutch and flywheel it was really badly damaged.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I reved it all the way to the redline and tryed to change it to 2nd gear when you dont know how to drive stick its hard to go all the way to the redline and change it to 2nd so i really fuked up the cluthc learning how to do it. I would recommend learning those things on a nother car if money is a concurn.

·
'a certain moderator'
38,195 Posts
learning stick on my car, plus 33k miles of un-grandmother-like driving = clutch issues already... i just hope that the dealer will cover the "popping" i am experiencing, even though the TSB doesnt cover my month of production.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I'd say your biggest concern as a beginner is the desire to 'ride' the clutch through slow moving areas, instead of consistently engaging/disengaging. Don't supplement the clutch for the brake, learn how to rev-match your downshifts and hold the clutch at the friction point as little as possible. It's a matter of getting comfortable with the car in feeling safe around ~1000RPM and below without the fear of the car stalling out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts