BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my vehicle in for installation of my winter tires and my first inspection about a week or so ago. While I was there, I mentioned that my clutch is pretty slippy and nowhere near as solid as my roommates car.

My car (330ci) has about 21,000 miles on it, and my roommates car (325ci) has about 14,000 miles on it. So basically, they are not that far off in mileage.

On top of that, I have driven a manual car for about 10 years. He just started learning on his car. So if anything, his car should be the one in worse shape.

Anyways, when I took my car in, I asked them to have a look at the clutch. When I got the car back, they said they replaced it with new parts (even though the paperwork said "RMFD", which I assume is short for "remanufactured"). I asked if was remanufactured and they said that it was definetly all new parts.

For about a week, the clutch felt fine. Still WAY ligther than my roommate's clutch, but it was smoother, so I didn't complain. However tonight, I accelerated in first fairly fast, changed to second gear, and from then on, all gear changes are now WORSE than they were before I originally took the car in! Now the vehicle "chatters" when a gear is engaged. Now I was close to home, so I was only able to test out 1st and 2nd gears.

So, anyone have any suggestions as to what I should say to the service department when I call to make another appointment? I dont want them to just remanufacture the clutch again and then have this problem occur all over again. Any tips on convincing them to replace the entire clutch assembly. I mean the car only has 21,000 miles on it, which is not a lot in my opinion. Most cars I have driven have had around 100,000 and the clutch never had to be replaced, so I am pretty sure it is not because of my driving stlye.

Cheers ... Ian :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drove it again this morning. Seems to be very hard to start smoothly in first gear. The other gears are not too bad.

However, now I noticed that I have the infamous "clutch pop" noise when releasing the clutch pedal. :(

One other question, does anyone know if a 2002 MY clutch is different than a 2001 MY clutch?

The 325ci I mentioned is a 2002 and my 330ci is a 2001 and the difference between the pressure required to press the clutch is like night and day. Mine is so soft and the 2002 requires a solid amount of force.

Cheers ... Ian :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but the gearbox on the 325 is Getrag and I believe the 330's have ZF. Maybe they have different clutches as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts