E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently noticed when I place my foot lightly on the clutch pedal of my E46 M3, I feel a repetitive subtle click as the engine is running. It increases in frequency as the revs increase and feels almost like a pulse.

I listened carefully to the engine with the hood open, the click I feel correlates to a clicking sound in the engine that is very subtle and not always present.

Possibly relevant things I know about the car:
  • Bearings changes at 40k, now 130k
  • Throttle reset happened when the battery died, never officially reversed

What could this be? And how do I go about diagnosing the potential issue?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Personally, I'd be planning a clutch Job including possibly the flywheel in the near future.
I'd be listening closely to the clutch release bearing to start with.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,302 Posts
Almost always when vibrations are felt through the clutch pedal, it's because the throw out bearing is a tired senior citizen. Most often associated/combined with a worn clutch disc.

The slave cylinder constantly adapts to a new position as the disc wears. (Think about new brake pads VS: worn ones. Yet the pedal is in the same place. Because the piston continually follows the pad wear. So does the slave cylinder.)
However in the above you're pushing deep into the pressure plate and it's spring. More force, along with a tired TO bearing cause the vibration sensation as the fingers pass by the stationary (only moves in/out) TO bearing.

I'd have to drive it myself to be 100% sure, but sounds like there's a clutch job in your near future.
Don't forget the pilot bearing and a refresh of the shifter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Almost always when vibrations are felt through the clutch pedal, it's because the throw out bearing is a tired senior citizen. Most often associated/combined with a worn clutch disc.

The slave cylinder constantly adapts to a new position as the disc wears. (Think about new brake pads VS: worn ones. Yet the pedal is in the same place. Because the piston continually follows the pad wear. So does the slave cylinder.)
However in the above you're pushing deep into the pressure plate and it's spring. More force, along with a tired TO bearing cause the vibration sensation as the fingers pass by the stationary (only moves in/out) TO bearing.

I'd have to drive it myself to be 100% sure, but sounds like there's a clutch job in your near future.
Don't forget the pilot bearing and a refresh of the shifter.
It's interesting- there seems to be agreement that it's a transmission issue. I didn't know any component within the transmission would be rotating when the shift lever is in neutral and the clutch is not being pressed.

That being said I've been suspecting something is off about my transmission when I tried to do a burnout. I brought the RPMs up to 2.5 and upon release of the clutch in 1st the car started to jerk/buck backwards and forwards, almost like a wobble. This continued as I tried to shift to 2nd until I released the gas completely.

Any thoughts on whether this could be related?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which one? Muffler bearing?

It sounds like the throw out bearing is rough, or the PP has bent fingers, causing the TOB to vibrate leading to the fork moving.
It's interesting- there seems to be agreement that it's a transmission issue. I didn't know any component within the transmission would be rotating when the shift lever is in neutral and the clutch is not being pressed.

That being said I've been suspecting something is off about my transmission when I tried to do a burnout. I brought the RPMs up to 2.5 and upon release of the clutch in 1st the car started to jerk/buck backwards and forwards, almost like a wobble. This continued as I tried to shift to 2nd until I released the gas completely.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
The issue is not internal to the transmission, but in the bell housing. Even in neutral, the TOB making contact with the PP fingers which rotates with the flywheel, and so when you lightly touched on the clutch pedal, the little changes on the TOB axial position due to the worn PP fingers, or by the TOB's rough dried balls, this transmitted to the slave cylinder and to the master cyclinder.

·
Registered
7,302 Posts

I completely disagree that's an internal transmission issue.
Furthermore Sapote said the same thing I did with different words .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I completely disagree that's an internal transmission issue.
Furthermore Sapote said the same thing I did with different words .
You disagree? Do you think it is a transmission issue or a clutch bellhousing issue?

I don't get why that would cause repetitive jerking of the car during fast clutch release.

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
The fast jerking is an inherent eml throttle issue. It's the throttle butterfly's jerking.

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
More aggressive pedal maping.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts