BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this extremely annoying problem, let me try to explain. I have two theories: 1. The electronic throttle just plain sucks or 2. The self adjusting clutch is broken...

Basically im stopped, or just rolling a couple miles an hour, shift into first gear, let the clutch out, and start to accelerate. The RPMs go up, and not much acceleration, then suddenly it KICKS like the clutch just then fully engaged. It happens when applying the throttle a little or a lot. Very annoying especially when driving in slow traffic, and it throws my head back.

Another issue is when in any gear (more noticeable at lower speeds), if I'm trying to be easy with the throttle, it's almost impossible to accelerate smoothly. It seems like there is a point in the throttle pedal travel that the throttle goes ON or OFF.

Please help me! I think the clutch is about 40k miles old. Car is a 5spd with 100k miles. I checked for the CDV and posted pics here, and apparently I don't have one.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Oh BOY!!!! My car does EXACTLY the same thing. I have a 2001 330i with 107,000 miles (5 speed). All of the tune-up type stuff is new as well as the VANOS seals, intake boots, etc. etc. . It's like there is a dead spot in the pedal position sensor just off idle (light throttle). When you pull off, it feels like you apply the throttle and the throttle plate opens. Then...as you continue to press down it's like the throttle plate stays in the same place and then jumps open. It causes the car to jerk when pulling away from a stop. The faster you have opened the throttle, the harder the jerk. My car does not do it every time but it does it a lot and it's VERY annoying! It's very hard to describe to people because it's not really a hesitation, more of just a sudden jerk forward. Mine also seems to worse when the engine is not fully warm but it does it when warm too. I would LOVE to get to the bottom of this. I do NOT believe that this is clutch related. Let me know how I can help and please let me know if you come up with anything on this.

Todd

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I have this extremely annoying problem, let me try to explain. I have two theories: 1. The electronic throttle just plain sucks or 2. The self adjusting clutch is broken...

Basically im stopped, or just rolling a couple miles an hour, shift into first gear, let the clutch out, and start to accelerate. The RPMs go up, and not much acceleration, then suddenly it KICKS like the clutch just then fully engaged. It happens when applying the throttle a little or a lot. Very annoying especially when driving in slow traffic, and it throws my head back.

Another issue is when in any gear (more noticeable at lower speeds), if I'm trying to be easy with the throttle, it's almost impossible to accelerate smoothly. It seems like there is a point in the throttle pedal travel that the throttle goes ON or OFF.

Please help me! I think the clutch is about 40k miles old. Car is a 5spd with 100k miles. I checked for the CDV and posted pics here, and apparently I don't have one.
Are you sure the rpms are going up and the car doesn't accelerate? To me that sounds like the clutch must be slipping since rpm is linked to speed in manual trannies.

·
Banned
2,061 Posts
It sounds like the clutch is starting to go.......If your RPM is spiking, then it finally catches, its your clutch slipping. I don't know what would cause the throttle control though.........

I have OEM clutch that has 111k miles on it. It is no wear near replacement

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh BOY!!!! My car does EXACTLY the same thing. I have a 2001 330i with 107,000 miles (5 speed). All of the tune-up type stuff is new as well as the VANOS seals, intake boots, etc. etc. . It's like there is a dead spot in the pedal position sensor just off idle (light throttle). When you pull off, it feels like you apply the throttle and the throttle plate opens. Then...as you continue to press down it's like the throttle plate stays in the same place and then jumps open. It causes the car to jerk when pulling away from a stop. The faster you have opened the throttle, the harder the jerk. My car does not do it every time but it does it a lot and it's VERY annoying! It's very hard to describe to people because it's not really a hesitation, more of just a sudden jerk forward. Mine also seems to worse when the engine is not fully warm but it does it when warm too. I would LOVE to get to the bottom of this. I do NOT believe that this is clutch related. Let me know how I can help and please let me know if you come up with anything on this.

Todd

Exactly!!

Are you sure the rpms are going up and the car doesn't accelerate? To me that sounds like the clutch must be slipping since rpm is linked to speed in manual trannies.
I'm pretty sure the RPM's are increasing. Picture it like you are slipping the clutch to accelerate, but never fully let it out. Then somewhere during the acceleration you let it out completely so it jerks the car as it fully engages. That's what it's like.

It sounds like the clutch is starting to go.......If your RPM is spiking, then it finally catches, its your clutch slipping. I don't know what would cause the throttle control though.........

I have OEM clutch that has 111k miles on it. It is no wear near replacement
See...I thought it was the clutch starting to go, but it's been 9k miles and still it doesnt slip. Under power in 2nd gear or anything else it doesn't slip at all...

Check this out:
http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/performance_clutches/PO.htm

I think this is the issue...but I don't have the spare $600 to find out :(

·
Registered
928 Posts
The clutch is not causing the problem in my case, not sure about yours. I'm certain it's something in the engine control system that's causing it.

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
Picture it like you are slipping the clutch to accelerate, but never fully let it out. Then somewhere during the acceleration you let it out completely so it jerks the car as it fully engages. That's what it's like.

See...I thought it was the clutch starting to go, but it's been 9k miles and still it doesnt slip. Under power in 2nd gear or anything else it doesn't slip at all...
I'm very confused. If it feels like it's slipping, how are you so convinced it's not? It doesn't sound like its completely failing to grab but it does sound like it is slipping. Whether the clutch itself is shot or the SAC mechanism is fubarred, sounds like something there isn't right.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm very confused. If it feels like it's slipping, how are you so convinced it's not? It doesn't sound like its completely failing to grab but it does sound like it is slipping. Whether the clutch itself is shot or the SAC mechanism is fubarred, sounds like something there isn't right.
Oops, I didn't mean to say I'm sure it's not slipping, because that's a possibility, but as far as the clutch slipping in general, it never does. For example, a hard 1-2 shift doesn't slip at all. Also any shift aside from neutral to a gear doesn't create the issue.

Since it's only when I'm going slow, and just had the clutch in, letting it out slowly for a smooth start, it makes me think maybe it's the slave cylinder or some other clutch part not fully opening/closing when it is released slowly. A friend who teaches the BMW driving schools suggested the slave cylinder about a year ago when I was complaining about it, because it's a fail item on the e36's and some e46's.

I'm sure I'll eventually get it checked out and report back? Until then, more suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
CDV on your car?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Oops, I didn't mean to say I'm sure it's not slipping, because that's a possibility, but as far as the clutch slipping in general, it never does. For example, a hard 1-2 shift doesn't slip at all. Also any shift aside from neutral to a gear doesn't create the issue.

Since it's only when I'm going slow, and just had the clutch in, letting it out slowly for a smooth start, it makes me think maybe it's the slave cylinder or some other clutch part not fully opening/closing when it is released slowly. A friend who teaches the BMW driving schools suggested the slave cylinder about a year ago when I was complaining about it, because it's a fail item on the e36's and some e46's.

I'm sure I'll eventually get it checked out and report back? Until then, more suggestions welcome.

Well....like I said, I am sure my issue is not clutch related, it's definately an engine related problem. I'm not sure we have the same issue but PLEASE let me know if you get this checked out. Right now, I'm just living with it.

Todd

·
Registered
944 Posts
I have a very similar problem and the CDV is removed. I guess you can when the clutch slips then re-catches and causes the jerk motion which doesn't stop unless you gun it or push the clutch in.
I vote bad clutch due to the fact when driving my car to the shop today for a/c work I gave her some fuel and the clutch slipped enough to notice easily.
Speaking of which looking to get an in-expensive clutch slightly better than stock anyone know a place??

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a very similar problem and the CDV is removed. I guess you can when the clutch slips then re-catches and causes the jerk motion which doesn't stop unless you gun it or push the clutch in.
I vote bad clutch due to the fact when driving my car to the shop today for a/c work I gave her some fuel and the clutch slipped enough to notice easily.
Speaking of which looking to get an in-expensive clutch slightly better than stock anyone know a place??
The BMW magazines, as well as a lot of people on here will recommend the UUC Performance Organic clutch. Apparently it's just like a stock clutch without the lame self adjusting mechanism. I think it's around $700 though :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts