E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed a few months ago when I pushed on the gas petal in 5th gear that the rpms would rise but my car would not speed up, now this happens in every gear and I determined its the clutch. So I have a few questions, which is better? Self adjusting or regular? Does the self adjusting wear faster? If I replace it with a non adjusting one do I need a conversion kit?

Another question, is it worth changing the flywheel while im down there or is that something to be determined after I inspect it?

I found a kit on bavauto.com which includes One Piece Flywheel, Sprung-Hub Design Clutch Disc, Clutch Pressure Plate, Clutch Release Bearing, Crankshaft Pilot Bearing, Flywheel To Crankshaft Bolts, and Clutch Alignment Tool for $680. Has anyone used this site before? and is that a good investment? Do I need additional seals or conversion parts?

Sorry for all the questions but thanks for the help.

·
Bavarian Autosport
266 Posts
Your symptoms certainly match those of a worn-out clutch. When replacing a clutch on this particular car you have some options. Your car has both a self-adjusting pressure plate and a dual mass flywheel. Both of these have their downsides. The pressure plates are known for premature failure, and it's quite common for them to be installed incorrectly shortening their life even more. The dual mass flywheels can't be machined for a new clutch to be installed on them. And the spring mechanisms wear out in them too. You can read more about this on our blog.

http://blog.bavauto.com/11949/bmw-s...c-and-dual-mass-flywheel-faults-and-failures/

We offer a variety of clutch options for the car ranging from stock replacement flywheels and stock style clutches, to the Valeo conversion kit you are looking at (which is a direct replacement) and we also have lightweight flywheels and performance clutches. If you bought our regular stock replacement clutch kit (part number CK E46 1) it includes exhaust gaskets, transmission seals, a rear engine seal, and some other items needed to complete the job. The other clutch kits we sell do not include these. But we sell the clutch install kit (part number CK E46 1X) that includes all that stuff for use with the other clutch setups we sell.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts