BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm due for a clutch replacement and want to know if the Sachs + JB combo is good for a street putter, SMG, M3?. I'll put in a new OE fork lever, spring clip, throw out bearing and brass pivot pin as well.

Other recommendations appreciated like ACT? They look ok but are more expensive...

The flywheel states 6 speed manual transmission. What's the correct one for SMG?

EDIT: I've just realised, that is not a sprung clutch and to reduce 'chatter' I'd like it to be a sprung clutch... hmmm, more research

https://www.sachsperformance.com/en/clutch-kit/performance-clutch-sachs/performance-clutch-kit-bmw-m3-e46-001243-999978a

http://www.jbracing.com/flywheel-bmw6.php

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
23 Posts
Can't say I know much about the SMG but I personally replaced flywheel & clutch on my manual few months back. From what I understand a lightweight flywheel can mess w/your idle - altho supposedly it's a dream to rev match - just blips up freely. I ordered a twin-disc race clutch, realized my mistake (lol) and went with a Clutch Master Fx250 from Bimmerworld. Oh, and got a new dual-mass flywheel. Wanted to stay as close to OEM as possible w/just a slightly beefier disc. Feels great! And I'm sure glad I stuck w/the dual-mass; it's a convertible, not a race car.

Edit: regarding ACT, roomie uses one on his skid car. No complaints. ACT is considerably popular in Southern California. Not sure if they're based here?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks man, seems to be a good choice for brand compared to OE and I'm supercharged so the extra ~40ish ft lbs of bite should be nice.

I've emailed ACT directly asking if it's suitable for both manual and SMG E46 M3's.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I'm due for a clutch replacement and want to know if the Sachs + JB combo is good for a street putter, SMG, M3?. I'll put in a new OE fork lever, spring clip, throw out bearing and brass pivot pin as well.

Other recommendations appreciated like ACT? They look ok but are more expensive...

The flywheel states 6 speed manual transmission. What's the correct one for SMG?

EDIT: I've just realised, that is not a sprung clutch and to reduce 'chatter' I'd like it to be a sprung clutch... hmmm, more research

https://www.sachsperformance.com/en/clutch-kit/performance-clutch-sachs/performance-clutch-kit-bmw-m3-e46-001243-999978a

http://www.jbracing.com/flywheel-bmw6.php

How are you doing this? Do you have a lift or are you on axles stands? I am thinking of replacing my clutch and I'm just wondering about the minimum clearance you need to drop the gearbox and get it out of the way and if it is safe to do it on axle stands.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
How are you doing this? Do you have a lift or are you on axles stands? I am thinking of replacing my clutch and I'm just wondering about the minimum clearance you need to drop the gearbox and get it out of the way and if it is safe to do it on axle stands.
It's all done. I took it to a workshop and had the JB Racing SMFW and Sachs clutch installed. The flywheel is very noisy coming down from 2500-2000rpm.

Zac from Twinline Garage replaced a clutch on his mates E46 M3 and put the video on YouTube, you can watch that to see what they did to get to some of the top bolts of the gearbox.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's all done. I took it to a workshop and had the JB Racing SMFW and Sachs clutch installed. The flywheel is very noisy coming down from 2500-2000rpm.

Zac from Twinline Garage replaced a clutch on his mates E46 M3 and put the video on YouTube, you can watch that to see what they did to get to some of the top bolts of the gearbox.
Hello mate

I have the same set up as you in my garage. I think we met in Perth before. Im still a bit nervous about installing a 10 lbs flywheel on SMG. Could you give me more info on any issues with this. I track my car so throttle blipping is important.

I was actually just thinking maybe you being supercharged might have added an extra bit of weight to the crank thus offsetting some of the weight loss of flywheel and making it work better with the SMG. I have underdrive pulleys and a mishi fan so I might have less success than you with a 10lbs flywheel. I was also looking at the ACT flywheel which is 15.9 lbs and have sent then an email to see if it will fit a Sachs sprung clutch.
Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts