BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today on the way to the city, I noticed an obnoxiously loud noise. Of course my clutch is locked completely and therefore the fan is spinning at the rate of the pulley. I've already ordered a new clutch and fan.

I want to take the clutch fan off until my parts come in Friday to avoid it exploding all over my engine bay. There is a small chip on one blade already.

After some searching I found mixed emotions about this.

Any opinions or suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Take the fan off ASAP if you need to drive the car before the new fan clutch arrives. Driving with seized clutch is dangerous- if the fan revs too quickly, it may grenade inside the engine bay and cause a lot of damage.

Check if the cluch has seized irreversibly- these sometimes seize when forced to a sudden stop- if something got in the way of the blades etc. Friends' clutch had seized when the water pump bearing went and the blades smashed against the fan shroud. We rotated the nut by hand and it eventually eased. The clutch has been working fine ever since (>15K miles).

If it were my car, I'd take the fan off and keep the AC on at ALL TIMES until you get the new fan in. This way, the aux fan is running and moving air past the radiator fins. Keepin the fan on could result in extreme damage if left. This can also include body work.
It is unnecessary to keep the A/C on. The auxilliary fan will turn ON when it has to.
Electric fan mod fairy is looking for you:hi:
+1. But he already oredered the viscous clutch.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the replies! I ended up taking it out. Just got the new one on.

Does the clutch have a break in period? because it spins alot faster than the other one before it seized. It also still sounds like a semi and it feels as if it is holding my car back way more than it used to.

Electric Fan mod is sounding better and better.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Are the clutch fans specific to automatics, or 2002's and older? My 04 zhp doesn't have one, never got an answer as to when they stopped. I noticed I do have the thread to put it on, but when was it discontinued?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think it was put on any manual e46s. Not sure if it was ever discontinued with autos though.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Are the clutch fans specific to automatics, or 2002's and older? My 04 zhp doesn't have one, never got an answer as to when they stopped. I noticed I do have the thread to put it on, but when was it discontinued?
Yes, clutch fans are only for automatics.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
My car has a manual transmission, primary mechanical fan, and auxiliary electric fan. This is not an uncomon setup among the early E46 models.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bump....

I'm still waiting on this fan clutch to calm down. It is still obnoxiously loud. I would think if it had a break in period it would have already surpassed since it's been almost a week of commuting.

Does anyone have any suggestions or can relate to this issue?

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
does it sound like a loud squeak\squeal, that gets faster as you increase the revs? if so, i think mine might be on the way out, as well. it only happens sometimes.

how can i check if it's the fan clutch or the water pump?

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Electric fan DIY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Electric fan DIY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yea I know I would have, but I already bought and installed a new clutch.

does it sound like a loud squeak\squeal, that gets faster as you increase the revs? if so, i think mine might be on the way out, as well. it only happens sometimes.

how can i check if it's the fan clutch or the water pump?
No, its sounds like an extremely fast fan pushing tons of air. No squeaks or squeals. I would check your belts.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Yea I know I would have, but I already bought and installed a new clutch.

No, its sounds like an extremely fast fan pushing tons of air. No squeaks or squeals. I would check your belts.
did you get one from BMW or aftermarket? It sounds like you have a defective replacement. I would take it off and exchange it or just buy one from BMW before your fan grenades and ruins your hood. the results are not pretty:

·
Registered
272 Posts
bump....

I'm still waiting on this fan clutch to calm down. It is still obnoxiously loud. I would think if it had a break in period it would have already surpassed since it's been almost a week of commuting.

Does anyone have any suggestions or can relate to this issue?
There's no break in period for the fan. Are you sure it's the clutch fan you are hearing? Sounds like the pusher fan (in front of the car) to me. Try running the engine without the clutch fan just to make sure you are on the right track.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts