E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the UUC Pullies and I've been trying to install them since last night, but everything I've been doing to get the dam fan off, it just doesn't work. YES i've search around, but i still can't get the thing off....i went and borrowed a 32mm wrench from the bike shop and i keep twisting the bolt to a clockwise position, but it doesn't seem like it's gana come off....someone PLEZZZZZZZ helpp me

·
(oOO \ (||||)(||||) / OOo)
2,280 Posts
GQKaMbiZ said:
I got the UUC Pullies and I've been trying to install them since last night, but everything I've been doing to get the dam fan off, it just doesn't work. YES i've search around, but i still can't get the thing off....i went and borrowed a 32mm wrench from the bike shop and i keep twisting the bolt to a clockwise position, but it doesn't seem like it's gana come off....someone PLEZZZZZZZ helpp me
Come over my house this weekend, I'll help you.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
you need a special tool from bmw (or make your own) that locks the clutch in place.

·
2,280 Posts
I've just used a long mechanic screw driver placed sandwiched in between the two bolts holding the pulley to counter it while I loosen the 32mm nut of the clutch fan, that will do the trick. Didn't need the special tool at all and save me $$$ to buy that stuff.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i just tried doing that and the screwdriver cracked and half of it fell into the engine bay :yikes: SH*T!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Do as .....

Listen to this guy...I did the install just couple of days ago...and did it exactly he stated...worked like a charm. The whole install only took about 30 minutes. The after install affect was not significant in terms of power gain, but it certainly made my steering feel much heavier(the it was meant to be)...on a high speed (over 100mph) the car feels much firmer and stable. The throttle response seemed to have improved slightly also. Good luck and let us know how it went.

Jcabigas said:
I've just used a long mechanic screw driver placed sandwiched in between the two bolts holding the pulley to counter it while I loosen the 32mm nut of the clutch fan, that will do the trick. Didn't need the special tool at all and save me $$$ to buy that stuff.

·
dot eleven N for the win
1,259 Posts
If you busted a screwdriver :lmao: try setting the bike wrench and then smacking it with a hammer. That's the way Bentley manual says to do it. The quick impact will usually crack the bolt loose. Otherwise, get another screwdriver. Maybe Craftsman this time? :idea:

·
2,280 Posts
GQKaMbiZ said:
i just tried doing that and the screwdriver cracked and half of it fell into the engine bay :yikes: SH*T!!!
Damn....How long is your screw driver and how thick is it? Do you have a mechanic screw driver (approx. 20 inches long) or did you used an ordinary cheap one?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I finally got these pullies on,,,thanks everyone for their help espically Jcabigas!! good looking out man. These pullies didn't really make any difference to me at all. If anything, the car feels a little slower w/ a lag of some sort. But i hope this will change. Another thing..whenever you guys first pullies on, did smoke come out from the belts the first time you turn the car on??? I hope i didn't do anything wrong
thanks again for the help

·
-not a mod-
21,062 Posts
Smoke is never good, unless you had some oil or something on the engine that might have burned off..

·
2,280 Posts
GQKaMbiZ said:
I finally got these pullies on,,,thanks everyone for their help espically Jcabigas!! good looking out man. These pullies didn't really make any difference to me at all. If anything, the car feels a little slower w/ a lag of some sort. But i hope this will change. Another thing..whenever you guys first pullies on, did smoke come out from the belts the first time you turn the car on??? I hope i didn't do anything wrong
It shouldn't be doing this at all (smoke come out from the belts), reinspect your belts and make sure the belts were installed properly along the Pulleys' grooves and/or the way they should be routed.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
you put the pullies on wrong

Check the diy board, I posted a diy of my install with pics of the belt travel. You shouldn't see smoke, that means the belt is on wrong which is why your losing power. Inspect the belt also. If you burned it up, you need a new one.

GQKaMbiZ said:

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
vinnymac said:
No you don't...a long screwdriver will do the trick.

alright vinny relax. sometimes the screwdriver works sometimes it doesn't

to be on the safe side you can use the bmw tool which is only $15 at my dealer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts